Choosing between Medicine vs. Optometry vs. Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWaxidermist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm unsure if I'm in the right place but I don't know where else to put this.

I'm struggling to choose which one of these paths to go down. Whether to get a MD, DO, OD, or PharmD. I feel they all have pros and cons and can appeal to me for different reasons. I don't really know how to shadow people I have no transportation to get anywhere. I'm just trying to find what's best for me I guess.
for some background I guess I would call myself a slow person in many senses, I'd say I'm slow intellectually and also prefer the slow lifestyle . I don't really care about salary or pecking order in degrees (people who go MDs are better than DOs and OD and PharmD are for dropouts!) I'd just like to find something I'd enjoy. I'm in my undergrad in an unrelated degree but when I think about future careers I'd enjoy my mind keeps settling on something in healthcare.

Any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm unsure if I'm in the right place but I don't know where else to put this.

I'm struggling to choose which one of these paths to go down. Whether to get a MD, DO, OD, or PharmD. I feel they all have pros and cons and can appeal to me for different reasons. I don't really know how to shadow people I have no transportation to get anywhere. I'm just trying to find what's best for me I guess.
for some background I guess I would call myself a slow person in many senses, I'd say I'm slow intellectually and also prefer the slow lifestyle . I don't really care about salary or pecking order in degrees (people who go MDs are better than DOs and OD and PharmD are for dropouts!) I'd just like to find something I'd enjoy. I'm in my undergrad in an unrelated degree but when I think about future careers I'd enjoy my mind keeps settling on something in healthcare.

Any advice is appreciated

I don't mean to be harsh, but stop complaining. You're sounding defeatist "I don't really know how to shadow people I have no transportation to get anywhere" - figure it out.

Also a piece of advice: you don't need to voice all your assumptions (e.g., pecking order in degrees... "PharmD are for dropouts!").

for some background I guess I would call myself a slow person in many senses, I'd say I'm slow intellectually and also prefer the slow lifestyle . I don't really care about salary or pecking order in degrees

If you consider yourself a slow person intellectually, healthcare may not be the best option for you. The process of getting into medical school, DO, OD, and PharmD requires you take some difficult classes and difficult exams only to help you get into expensive schools that require you take even more difficult classes and exams. It doesn't end there. You have to take exams after your professional school to prove you learned something to get licensed. Then residency to continue learning. Then continuing education. It'll never end.

If you do choose to pursue any of these paths, get experience. It would be awful for you to get into school, be in debt, and realize you hate what you're doing. Get experience, observe, and keep learning.

Reactions: 2 users