Choosing between programs: 97% vs 86% board pass rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakinmeowt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm currently trying to decide between two programs (Marshall and Northern Illinois). I just found out that NIU's most recent board pass rates for 2017 was 86%. I find this especially concerning as the previous three years were 91, 97, and 91%... not super great. The other school I'm considering has near perfect pass rates (100, 100, and 97%). Obviously there is a lot to consider with each program, but should I nix a school with such low pass rates? (Overall cost for each school will be about the same.) Also, if anyone has any experience with either school that they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How are you on taking tests? I feel that the NPTE really tests your ability to test...I don't believe it's a true measure of the physical therapist you will be. The higher your GRE score, the better your score tends to be on the NPTE. If you are awesome on standardized tests, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's not your best thing...I would put more weight on those pass scores. The school with the higher pass rates may have more board prep built in the curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
How are you on taking tests? I feel that the NPTE really tests your ability to test...I don't believe it's a true measure of the physical therapist you will be. The higher your GRE score, the better your score tends to be on the NPTE. If you are awesome on standardized tests, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's not your best thing...I would put more weight on those pass scores. The school with the higher pass rates may have more board prep built in the curriculum.
Honestly, I'm a pretty good standardized test taker so my concern is more or less that the program may not prepare its students as well. Thanks for your response!

So, I'm currently trying to decide between two programs (Marshall and Northern Illinois). I just found out that NIU's most recent board pass rates for 2017 was 86%. I find this especially concerning as the previous three years were 91, 97, and 91%... not super great. The other school I'm considering has near perfect pass rates (100, 100, and 97%). Obviously there is a lot to consider with each program, but should I nix a school with such low pass rates? (Overall cost for each school will be about the same.) Also, if anyone has any experience with either school that they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
A pass rate of 86% would be concerning for me, as I believe the average pass rate is 95%. It shows that the students aren't being prepared very well to be successful on the licensure exam. In the end, you're wasting money and time if you can't pass your boards, so I would definitely choose a school with a better track record on the NPTE.