choosing between two summer fellowship programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medDaisuki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends!
I am lucky to have received two fellowship offers and I am not sure which one to choose..I need to make a decision this week.
I am a first year and I am currently interested in IM especially GI subspecialty, but PM&R seems interesting to me. That's why I applied to the PMR internship.
Before starting med school, I have already had 2.5 years of research experience, with 3 pubs. But I feel like I don't have enough clinical experience, aside from volunteering and shadowing that I did in college.

Offer 1: MSSCE summer PMR externship
Pros:
my school don't have a PMR department
Rotate in both inpatient and outpatient unit in PMR department, can network with the residents, attending, etc.
the supervisor is the PMR residency program director
Will be able to attend their annual meeting and present a case report.
stipend of 4k
8 weeks in NYC area

cons:
I am not sure if i will do PMR for residency, because I am more interested in IM at this point
I have heard it is basically an observation, and I wont be able to see patients on my own.
not covering housing and living expenses : living in NYC would cost at least 4k for two months

Offer 2: University of Rochester pediatric research fellowship
10 week research program, can present a poster at the end and may have the opportunity to publish
research is more important now step 1 is P/F
more competitive?
stipend of 3k, the program also provides free housing

cons: I have already have 2.5 years research experience and I am not sure if a 10 week research program would be productive

Sorry for the long post!! Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation.
I got into a summer cancer research program for this summer.
But I've already got 7 publications and 7 years of research experience from before med school.

I want to do neurology, oncology, radiology, or general surgery...... will this extra research during med school help much in addition to my past history or does my past extensive research history make any further summer research during med school moot and insignificant?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar situation.
I got into a summer cancer research program for this summer.
But I've already got 7 publications and 7 years of research experience from before med school.

I want to do neurology, oncology, radiology, or general surgery...... will this extra research during med school help much in addition to my past history or does my past extensive research history make any further summer research during med school moot and insignificant?
I think it's worth doing if you don' t have anything else going on in the summer. For residency app, we need to show we accomplished something during medical school.

Reactions: 1 user