Choosing Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whosehousedawgshouse

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to start getting involved in a clinical experience next school year but am not certain which one to choose yet. I've been following a few threads on SDN and it seems to me that CNA, EMT, or scribe would be some great choices. Can I get some sort of comparison (in terms of patient/nurse/physician interactions, time commitment, etc.) between the three to consider? I'm interested in primary care and will be shadowing a physician soon. I'm most likely looking for something that is around 10 hours per week.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
 
It’s gonna be easier to convince someone to let you work for free. Of course if you find someone who’s gonna pay you, then that’s infinitely better
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a volunteer Emt you can probably do one shift per week ~12 hours depending on the squad. It's gonna be very hard/impossible to find part time scribing for that amount of hours per week in my experience.
 
I think the best clinical experience is being an EMT. I am not one yet all my friends who are one benefitted because 1. they got clinical experience and 2. being an EMT gives a great head start to understanding parts of medical school. And I had friends do one 12 hour shift a week. Scribing I think is like 20+ hours. If you dont want to be an EMT, I'd suggest shadowing.