Choosing IM residency programs with goal of eventual fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m half way into my M3 year and I’m starting to look into IM residency programs in my spare time, and also trying to figure out where I want to do a Sub-I. Im a little overwhelmed by all the programs, as I’m new to this whole game.

I want to eventually do a heme-onc fellowship, and so I’m trying to figure out what’s the best way to select IM programs to possibly apply for with that in mind. Should I look for program specific match rates for fellowships, or select institutions that also have heme onc followships.

Members don't see this ad.

Preferably you want a program that has a heme-onc fellowship in house. If you can’t nail one of those down, look for places that consistently have good heme-onc matches, though this may be skewed by resident preference.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,

I’m half way into my M3 year and I’m starting to look into IM residency programs in my spare time, and also trying to figure out where I want to do a Sub-I. Im a little overwhelmed by all the programs, as I’m new to this whole game.

I want to eventually do a heme-onc fellowship, and so I’m trying to figure out what’s the best way to select IM programs to possibly apply for with that in mind. Should I look for program specific match rates for fellowships, or select institutions that also have heme onc followships.
Those that have in house best
Those w good match rates into it second best
Those with both of above BESTEST

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It would stand to reason to really looks at the residency programs that have the higher rates of successful match to heme/onc if that data is available. Ideally, you would go to an IM program that also has your top heme/onc program, which also happens to readily take finishing residents from the IM program.

Additionally, consider researching heme-oncology fellowships you fancy and see the spread of institutions from which current and previous fellows hail.

That's an excellent idea! Which website would be best for institution stats? Sorry if this is basic, but I'm new to the game here. I'm checking out doximity and Frieda.

Additionally, consider researching heme-oncology fellowships you fancy and see the spread of institutions from which current and previous fellows hail.
That's an excellent idea! Which website would be best for institution stats? Sorry if this is basic, but I'm new to the game here. I'm checking out doximity and Frieda.

I meant that as a "on your free-time, casually do that" by going to different fellowship websites (like their actual websites and read about their training) that you might consider and look at their current and past fellows and seeing what kind of people are there.

I'll add one additional piece which I should've mentioned before:

You probably should be doing the same with IM residencies and see how/where they send their residents to heme/onc fellowships (since you are going to a be applying to residency soon--much more pressing and important than figuring out which fellowship you want). Time might change things and you might want to do rheum instead, but it's great you're taking the initiative to look ahead. Again, try to go to the actual residency website and read about their curriculum, trainees, alum, funding, benefits, etc. instead of just sticking to US News or Doximity rankings.

Hope all works out well and hope that helps!
FS

Reactions: 1 user
I meant that as a "on your free-time, casually do that" by going to different fellowship websites (like their actual websites and read about their training) that you might consider and look at their current and past fellows and seeing what kind of people are there.

I'll add one additional piece which I should've mentioned before:

You probably should be doing the same with IM residencies and see how/where they send their residents to heme/onc fellowships (since you are going to a be applying to residency soon--much more pressing and important than figuring out which fellowship you want). Time might change things and you might want to do rheum instead, but it's great you're taking the initiative to look ahead. Again, try to go to the actual residency website and read about their curriculum, trainees, alum, funding, benefits, etc. instead of just sticking to US News or Doximity rankings.

Hope all works out well and hope that helps!
FS

It does help indeed. I appreciate it a lot.