Choosing Next Year's Chief

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesCoord

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing a presentation for a National Conference about "Choosing Next Year's Chief Resident". (Since ours is a relatively small program, we only have one Chief.) Would appreciate comments from past, present, or wannabe chiefs on:

-How you were chosen? (Volunteered, elected by residents, elected by faculty, etc.) What do you think is the best method?
-Qualities, characteristics, habits you think are essential.
-Additional responsibilities you have?
-Appointed to committees?
-Do you receive (constructive) feedback on how you're doing? From who? (Other residents, residency director, chair?) How often?
-Perks? Are there any? Additional compensation? Less call?
-Headaches? I know there are more of those.
-Different status at your program/university? Different expectations, such as attendence at higher-level meetings?
-Your feelings about the job. Hindsight's twenty-twenty. Would you do it again?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm preparing a presentation for a National Conference about "Choosing Next Year's Chief Resident". (Since ours is a relatively small program, we only have one Chief.) Would appreciate comments from past, present, or wannabe chiefs on:

-How you were chosen? (Volunteered, elected by residents, elected by faculty, etc.) What do you think is the best method?
-Do you receive (constructive) feedback on how you're doing? From who? (Other residents, residency director, chair?) How often?
-Different status at your program/university? Different expectations, such as attendence at higher-level meetings?

Yes I definitely would do it again.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=180747

- was elected by faculty
- no perks other than having control over the schedule
- mostly headaches
- requirements: high test scores, high intellectual skills, high monkey skills, high social skills, liked by the other residents

- would do it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
- high test scores, high intellectual skills, high monkey skills, high social skills, liked by the other residents

How did you get the job then?

elected by whole department Residents, Faculty, secretaries

4 chiefs for 90 total residents

All Ca-3 were able to be elected

same amount of call but we control call schedule

perks? extra money in paycheck, a day off here and there, knowing more of what goes on behind the scenes

what sucks? knowing what happens behind the scenes, feeling like you have to teach other residents how to act like mature, responsible adults, making the call schedule only to have it change...multiple times.

would do it again:thumbup:

Chosen for: ability to work with others, board scores, enthusiasm about clinical aspects. Attendings vote. No campaigning.

Responsibilities: put out multiple fires. relate relevant complaints/issues to program director. go to tons of meetings which range from OR equipment to Staff meetings, to gathering with all departmental chiefs monthly.

Feedback is by PD and mainly my peers. The latter being the most meaningful.

Perks: Get a little more money each year. Attendings do seem to treat you slightly better than before. Not sure if thats because of being a chief or because of being a CA-3.

Headaches: Virtually endless.

Would I do it again? Sure.

Sounds like you all enjoyed it, since you say you'd do it again. Can you look back and remember times or situations where you actually initiated changes or made something better?

Sounds like you all enjoyed it, since you say you'd do it again. Can you look back and remember times or situations where you actually initiated changes or made something better?

- TEE program for residents
- Internet/e-mail based information exchange and contacting
- New hospital rotations
- Change in lecture formats for PBLD's

Few others