Choosing Peds Residency w/o opt rotation

Started by sonofva
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sonofva

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so, i'm kind of in a weird situation. my preceptor for outpatient peds flaked last second, and my rotation got switched to peds ER. I loved it and my inpatient peds rotation.

I'm in the Army, and the only aways I could schedule were inpatient again, and peds heme/onc...and my schedule is booked solid until after the military match.

so my question is: is it a good idea to apply for peds residency without having done any outpatient rotations? what happens if i hate peds clinic? the alternative for me right now is to do a TY, where I'm guaranteed outpatient exposure.

thanks!
 
I wouldn't do a transitional year just to get outpatient exposure. Go Pediatrics!!! I did outpatient rotations up the wazoo and I hated them but I still knew peds was my passion and I had choices for careers that did not involve clinic-- neonatology, pediatric critical care, peds ED. You don't know whether you'll like them or not, so totally worth the gamble! Its a great sign that you loved the peds inpatient rotations that you did-- I think you're all set. Move forward, and good luck!!!!
 
so, i'm kind of in a weird situation. my preceptor for outpatient peds flaked last second, and my rotation got switched to peds ER. I loved it and my inpatient peds rotation.

I'm in the Army, and the only aways I could schedule were inpatient again, and peds heme/onc...and my schedule is booked solid until after the military match.

so my question is: is it a good idea to apply for peds residency without having done any outpatient rotations? what happens if i hate peds clinic? the alternative for me right now is to do a TY, where I'm guaranteed outpatient exposure.

thanks!

Peds ER is pretty much outpatient peds with more suturing (and codes mixed in here and there). 😉

You'll be fine!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be honest, I'm really not a fan of general outpatient peds but still just matched into peds. And Cuthbert is right - peds ED isn't that different from outpatient peds. I'd say if you were happy on the peds rotations you did - you have your answer. Luckily peds is a huge field with so many ways your career can head. You don't have to know yet if general peds is right for you, you just need to know if you liked peds.
 
I hated just about every minute of out patient peds and spent my clinic days seeing as many as I could so I could go home sooner. Everything I learned there made me a better subspecialist (I almost hate to admit that!), and it really is true that having a good, solid general pediatrics base aids you in whatever you end up choosing. If you love working with and taking care of kids, then don't worry about not doing outpatient medicine yet. There are other rotations you may not have done that you may not like a lot, but are will still teach you a ton.
 
To be honest, I'm really not a fan of general outpatient peds but still just matched into peds. And Cuthbert is right - peds ED isn't that different from outpatient peds. I'd say if you were happy on the peds rotations you did - you have your answer. Luckily peds is a huge field with so many ways your career can head. You don't have to know yet if general peds is right for you, you just need to know if you liked peds.

I hated outpatient pediatric clinic and I like working in the peds ED (did peds residency + PEM fellowship). I'd argue that they're not actually that similar. But otherwise I agree with what's been said--I think you'll be fine applying to peds without any traditional clinic/outpatient experience.
 
I hated outpatient pediatric clinic and I like working in the peds ED (did peds residency + PEM fellowship). I'd argue that they're not actually that similar. But otherwise I agree with what's been said--I think you'll be fine applying to peds without any traditional clinic/outpatient experience.

We're just joking around about them being similar. 🙂 It's a reference to how many people use the ER for primary care (runny nose, fever for 2 whole hours, etc.). It all depends on how well you triage and if there is an acute care associated with the ER you are at (then those primary-type things get filtered out).