Choosing power as an Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

da3dl3us

Space Cowboy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a question about the power in choosing specific days off as an attending or going a community hospital after residency.

Being a Muslim, it would be ideal to take Friday's off for sermon/prayers. Now, if I was working in the ED on daytime Friday, I'm not sure if I would be allowed or even fair to leave for an hour for sermon/prayers. Thus, it would be better to not work on Fridays in general.

As an attending, can you say, "look I'll work any other day, but require Friday 1st shift off?"

Members don't see this ad.

Had a question about the power in choosing specific days off as an attending or going a community hospital after residency.

Being a Muslim, it would be ideal to take Friday's off for sermon/prayers. Now, if I was working in the ED on daytime Friday, I'm not sure if I would be allowed or even fair to leave for an hour for sermon/prayers. Thus, it would be better to not work on Fridays in general.

As an attending, can you say, "look I'll work any other day, but require Friday 1st shift off?"

Unless you work for a very tiny group and aren't willing to reciprocate in some way, this shouldn't be a problem.

mike

Unless you work for a very tiny group and aren't willing to reciprocate in some way, this shouldn't be a problem.

mike

Agreed.. but expect to work Sat or Sunday...

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed.. but expect to work Sat or Sunday...

Yeah, that's cool. I don't mind working sundays or the occasional sat. Nice to know. Thanks folks!

Oh and a quick question. What is the typical vacation time an EM take off during an year? Month?

Yeah, that's cool. I don't mind working sundays or the occasional sat. Nice to know. Thanks folks!

Oh and a quick question. What is the typical vacation time an EM take off during an year? Month?

I only get paid when I work so all vacation is unpaid. It is easy to get a week or 10 days off almost every month. I also get one month per year off also unpaid. The deal is different for HMO, hospital employees or Academic employees

Remember though that when you aren't working somebody else is.

My group at my hospital likes to include Friday-Sunday/Monday as your "weekend off". That means the other half of us are working those same days. If you require every Friday off, that can mess up the whole schedule of every other person in your group.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just be aware how your schedule requirements will affect others.

I'm glad to see you are willing to work the occasional Saturday. That will be a big help to your group.:rolleyes:

I'm glad to see you are willing to work the occasional Saturday. That will be a big help to your group.:rolleyes:

Our weekend volumes are so much higher we have extra shifts. It means that even though the weekend is only 2/7's of the week it accounts for almost 50% of our total hours. If you work with my group Saturdays aren't so occaisional. You'll probably work about half of them