Choosing Programs for Hem/Onc Electives as Community IMG IM Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geniusindisguise

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a PGY-1 non-US IMG going for a hem/onc fellowship. I know with my credentials, it will be an uphill battle and would like to do everything in my power to put myself in the best position possible going ahead. We get total 12 months of elective time in our program and I would like to go for electives in programs where I would at least have a chance of getting an interview down the road. Unfortunately, the university with which our program is affiliated isn't very IMG-friendly, although I will still be doing an elective there. Which brings me to my question, what are some IMG-friendly low/mid tier academic programs to which I can focus my elective rotations in?

My credentials for what it's worth:
Steps 240s/250s
university-affiliated community program in the NE
J1 Visa
8 peer reviewed journal articles (6 first authors; 4 original articles and 4 review articles; 2 oncology related)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If you need visa sponsorship, look to places in the middle of nowhere that will sponsor J1 visas like yours. Mayo for example is a top tier institution and program that I believe sponsors your type of visa. Try to rotate at one of these places or more if it's in an area that's acceptable for you to match to. Chances are your first waiver job will be in a similar type of place. UAB is very IMG friendly from what I recall.

Thank you for your reply. Those places you've mentioned seem like "mid-high" to "high-tier" places. Would I have a shot at those types of places? I'm confident in my ability to produce research and publications but the community program I'm in is relatively unknown and has a poor match list in hem/onc (ex. community programs or low-tier university programs). I would be willing to live in a rural area during my fellowship however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. Those places you've mentioned seem like "mid-high" to "high-tier" places. Would I have a shot at those types of places? I'm confident in my ability to produce research and publications but the community program I'm in is relatively unknown and has a poor match list in hem/onc (ex. community programs or low-tier university programs). I would be willing to live in a rural area during my fellowship however.

What kind of history does your program have for hem/onc matches? That can be helpful. Also the type of research you do and the contacts you make will be very important. Does your university affiliate allow you to do research at that center? Is it well known for hem/onc? On the surface, you seem to have great research, but as an IMG from a community program you have to continue to be productive in residency

What kind of history does your program have for hem/onc matches? That can be helpful. Also the type of research you do and the contacts you make will be very important. Does your university affiliate allow you to do research at that center? Is it well known for hem/onc? On the surface, you seem to have great research, but as an IMG from a community program you have to continue to be productive in residency

For the last several years we've had one or less hem/onc match per class either in a community hem/onc program or a "low tier" university program. We may be able to do research at our university affiliate but it's not a guarantee since the affiliation is not that strong. However, the affiliated institution is a major university hospital in Boston with a strong hem/onc program so if I were able to produce research or make connections there it would definitely be helpful. That being said, I guess the best course of action would be to build connections at home institution plus do elective rotations in programs with past grad matches as kind of a tryout?

Community hem/onc programs are fine but my heart is in academia and I would like to put myself in the best position to go for a program with research, especially clinical trials in solid tumors.

Last edited:
For the last several years we've had one or less hem/onc match per class either in a community hem/onc program or a "low tier" university program. We may be able to do research at our university affiliate but it's not a guarantee since the affiliation is not that strong. However, the affiliated institution is a major university hospital in Boston with a strong hem/onc program so if I were able to produce research or make connections there it would definitely be helpful. That being said, I guess the best course of action would be to build connections at home institution plus do elective rotations in programs with past grad matches as kind of a tryout?

Community hem/onc programs are fine but my heart is in academia and I would like to put myself in the best position to go for a program with research, especially clinical trials in solid tumors.

If your heart is in academia the best way to match into an academic program given your situation is to do as much meaningful research as you can. Find a mentor and be proactive, it’s definitely doable. Also a chief year could help and obviously being a great resident is part of it too.

If your heart is in academia the best way to match into an academic program given your situation is to do as much meaningful research as you can. Find a mentor and be proactive, it’s definitely doable. Also a chief year could help and obviously being a great resident is part of it too.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited: