Choosing programs to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LHPsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been looking at programs and am starting (like last year) to feel torn between applying to programs that I find interesting but don't have direct experience in and programs that are more logical, based on my current work, that I am less passionate about. I find that area interesting as well, just don't know if that is what I want to specialize in. Any thoughts? Anyone been in the same situation and had luck switching? I'm thinking at this point to try to apply to a bit of both.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I've been looking at programs and am starting (like last year) to feel torn between applying to programs that I find interesting but don't have direct experience in and programs that are more logical, based on my current work, that I am less passionate about. I find that area interesting as well, just don't know if that is what I want to specialize in. Any thoughts? Anyone been in the same situation and had luck switching? I'm thinking at this point to try to apply to a bit of both.
Thanks!

I think top R1 programs generally require "direct experience with topic A" (although this can be displayed in a variety of ways) while other programs are more willing to consider you without it. Applying to a mix sounds like a good strategy to me :)

On a related note, anyone know anything about Harvard's clinical psych program? Research heavy, for sure. I just feel as if there isn't much on them since they were recently APA accredited. Research-wise I think it might be a great match. Any info, gang?

On a related note, anyone know anything about Harvard's clinical psych program? Research heavy, for sure. I just feel as if there isn't much on them since they were recently APA accredited. Research-wise I think it might be a great match. Any info, gang?

I've heard it's very hard to get tenure at Harvard so there is a lot of faculty turnover. I'm not sure this is true (just hearsay) but if so I would be worried...nothing would suck worse than switching mentors or having to relocate, I can imagine...

Has anyone else heard this?