Choosing school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

athenaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Super grateful to have been accepted to two schools but need to decide ASAP! CA resident, undecided on specialty but would like to keep options open for more competitive ones

EVMS

pros:
  • Affiliated teaching hospital
  • Ultrasound curriculum
  • Students seem relaxed
  • High match and step scores
  • School is ranked
  • Community service oriented
Cons:
  • Far from home
  • Students are ranked
  • Not many research opportunities
Rosalind Franklin:

Pros:

• Diverse clinical experiences (Chicago health network is great)
  • Match list is impressive
  • Seems to be more research opportunities
  • New facilities
  • Live in Chicago for M3/4
  • Students are not ranked
  • P/F
Cons:
  • Campus is very far north
  • No affiliated teaching hospital
  • Will have to commute
  • People seem to hate the school on sdn?
Really torn between them as their match lists are quite comparable. Any constructive help is very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

EVMS because no teaching hospital at RFU. I’m assuming same cost

Reactions: 1 user
EVMS because no teaching hospital at RFU. I’m assuming same cost
Why does this matter if the end game is the match, and the school with no hospital overcomes the negative with a better match list?

UCF had the same situation and actually had one of the better match lists in FL. Now it has a teaching hospital, and everyone is pooping over it because it is run by HCA! Teaching hospital is great, but quality of training and matches are the name of the game, not USNWR ranking or the existence of a hospital.

As an example, I'd argue UCF was a much more attractive destination with no teaching hospital, but rotations at the two leading healthcare systems in Orlando, than it is today with a teaching hospital and HCA rotations spread all over the state of FL! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
EVMS would give more opportunities academically but ultimately you have to choose if that is more important to you than other factors

3rd and 4th year rotations at RF, from what I've heard, are a real challenge as they are scattered all over Chicago. Add to that Chicago weather and Chicago traffic and that year 1 & 2 are in North Chicago (not the north part of the city of Chicago, but 40 minutes north of the city in the suburbs), and I'd seriously consider EVMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.