choosing schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help me choose schools! MD/PhD 2003
I have a 3.60/3.61 gpa/bcpm and who knows about the MCAT!

I have lots of medical/research experience from the past four years in undergrad. And I'm keeping up my research work and volunteering in medicine too.

Members don't see this ad.

GWU and Creighton look like they don't have active MD/PhD programs, but I could be mistaken. Vermont's program looks new [with a new director etc.]. Vermont's director I believe wrote an article about the physician-scientist gap in some cardiology journal, so check that out if you're serious about applying to Vermont.

Vandy, Mt. Sinai [ask SDNer JJ4], WashU [ask SDNer energy_girl], Pittsburgh, and Northwestern [maybe RNAgirl can help here] all have active NIH-funded MSTPs.

*shameless advertisement*
visit <a href="http://www.jasonpaik.org/mdphd.html" target="_blank">www.jasonpaik.org/mdphd.html</a> for more links to active MSTP websites.

Yours,

Jason

Princess,
Hey, Isid here. I am applying to 22 MD/PhD programs. I assume you will be applying to more than six, right?

I have a bcmp gpa of 3.71 and a cum gpa of 3.84. I don't know about the MCAT. As for the test, is there a score that you would decide not to apply all together, a score where you would apply to fewer schools, and a score where you would feel confident applying to Wash U? I am trying to figure out these cutoffs in my head and I start bargaining with myself. (Well, if I only get a 32, I heard that a 30 got into the Harvard MSTP once, then maybe I should apply here and not apply there and yadda yadda yadda).
I certainly hope I got better than a 32 anyhow. If you don't mind sharing your cutoffs, if you have them, it may be quite helpful to a fellow hopeful.
By the way, love the dude with the pipe! Perfect for a bikini princess.
Isid

Members don't see this ad :)
um, you REALLY need to apply to more than six! 20+ does sound much better to me.

hah funny pic isid, i was doing the same about 5 min ago. where are you doing research now ... if you are this summer?
-jot

Right now I am at the Med U of SC. I am a research assistant in the lab of Surgical Molecular Oncology. The pic was taken last year while I was in the lab working on my bachelor's essay. Ah, whiling away my youth in the lab, I love it. And yourself Jot??
Isid

i'm spending my 3rd summer at merck molecular neurophramacology labs ... fun stuff, lots of expensive toys, and good people incredible pay. i'm applying to 22 as well, i bet we have just about the same schools. in fact, i imagine a lot of us will run into eachother this year. i won't be too hard to recognize ;-) enjoy!

Yes, I'm applying to ~19 schools..I decided that Sherlock Holmes didn't fit somebody who doesn't know enough about medicine...so I put on this fantastic hat instead.

Creighton doesn't have an MD/PhD program anymore?

I believe we (Creighton) take 2 MD/PhD students per year. I just finished year 1 and we had 2. I havent heard about them getting rid of the program, so unless there has been such an official change, I think Creighton does have a very good MD/PhD program. Also, contrary to many beliefs, there is a lot of research going on. I came to Creighton thinking they had nothing going on and was quite surprised to discover not only the quantity of research, but also the quality.

Take Care

•••quote:•••Originally posted by docuw:
•I believe we (Creighton) take 2 MD/PhD students per year. I just finished year 1 and we had 2. I havent heard about them getting rid of the program, so unless there has been such an official change, I think Creighton does have a very good MD/PhD program. Also, contrary to many beliefs, there is a lot of research going on. I came to Creighton thinking they had nothing going on and was quite surprised to discover not only the quantity of research, but also the quality.

Take Care•••••Whoops,

I wasn't able to find any information on the web about the program. Maybe it is listed in the admissions materials, or otherwise -- my bad! :D