Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Help me choose schools! MD/PhD 2003
I have a 3.60/3.61 gpa/bcpm and who knows about the MCAT!

I have lots of medical/research experience from the past four years in undergrad. And I'm keeping up my research work and volunteering in medicine too.

Doctor&Geek

25 > 5 / 15 < 8
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2002
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
GWU and Creighton look like they don't have active MD/PhD programs, but I could be mistaken. Vermont's program looks new [with a new director etc.]. Vermont's director I believe wrote an article about the physician-scientist gap in some cardiology journal, so check that out if you're serious about applying to Vermont.

Vandy, Mt. Sinai [ask SDNer JJ4], WashU [ask SDNer energy_girl], Pittsburgh, and Northwestern [maybe RNAgirl can help here] all have active NIH-funded MSTPs.

*shameless advertisement*
visit <a href="http://www.jasonpaik.org/mdphd.html" target="_blank">www.jasonpaik.org/mdphd.html</a> for more links to active MSTP websites.

Yours,

Jason

isidella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
Princess,
Hey, Isid here. I am applying to 22 MD/PhD programs. I assume you will be applying to more than six, right?

I have a bcmp gpa of 3.71 and a cum gpa of 3.84. I don't know about the MCAT. As for the test, is there a score that you would decide not to apply all together, a score where you would apply to fewer schools, and a score where you would feel confident applying to Wash U? I am trying to figure out these cutoffs in my head and I start bargaining with myself. (Well, if I only get a 32, I heard that a 30 got into the Harvard MSTP once, then maybe I should apply here and not apply there and yadda yadda yadda).
I certainly hope I got better than a 32 anyhow. If you don't mind sharing your cutoffs, if you have them, it may be quite helpful to a fellow hopeful.
By the way, love the dude with the pipe! Perfect for a bikini princess.
Isid

About the Ads

none

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
Status
um, you REALLY need to apply to more than six! 20+ does sound much better to me.

J

jot

hah funny pic isid, i was doing the same about 5 min ago. where are you doing research now ... if you are this summer?
-jot

isidella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
Right now I am at the Med U of SC. I am a research assistant in the lab of Surgical Molecular Oncology. The pic was taken last year while I was in the lab working on my bachelor's essay. Ah, whiling away my youth in the lab, I love it. And yourself Jot??
Isid

J

jot

i'm spending my 3rd summer at merck molecular neurophramacology labs ... fun stuff, lots of expensive toys, and good people incredible pay. i'm applying to 22 as well, i bet we have just about the same schools. in fact, i imagine a lot of us will run into eachother this year. i won't be too hard to recognize ;-) enjoy!

OP
B

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Yes, I'm applying to ~19 schools..I decided that Sherlock Holmes didn't fit somebody who doesn't know enough about medicine...so I put on this fantastic hat instead.

OP
B

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Keep the Poll results coming!! : )

OP
B

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Creighton doesn't have an MD/PhD program anymore?

docuw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
Status
I believe we (Creighton) take 2 MD/PhD students per year. I just finished year 1 and we had 2. I havent heard about them getting rid of the program, so unless there has been such an official change, I think Creighton does have a very good MD/PhD program. Also, contrary to many beliefs, there is a lot of research going on. I came to Creighton thinking they had nothing going on and was quite surprised to discover not only the quantity of research, but also the quality.

Take Care

Doctor&Geek

25 > 5 / 15 < 8
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2002
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by docuw:
<strong>I believe we (Creighton) take 2 MD/PhD students per year. I just finished year 1 and we had 2. I havent heard about them getting rid of the program, so unless there has been such an official change, I think Creighton does have a very good MD/PhD program. Also, contrary to many beliefs, there is a lot of research going on. I came to Creighton thinking they had nothing going on and was quite surprised to discover not only the quantity of research, but also the quality.

Take Care</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whoops,

I wasn't able to find any information on the web about the program. Maybe it is listed in the admissions materials, or otherwise -- my bad! :D

About the Ads