Choosing Undergrad for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

culturenmusic03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! As a preface, I will be posting the same post under the Pre-Medical - MD portion as well :)

So I'm a HS senior applying to college and am looking for some advice in picking a school out of my acceptances.

So far, I have/am considering:

- BS / DO with NSU KPCOM (4+4) -- relatively affordable in terms of Financial Aid

-
Guaranteed interview (MD) -- still pretty pricey, but nice to have a guaranteed interview

-
LECOM EAP (DO) -- "heard" that reputation isn't that good, limiting myself?, undergrad schools aren't the best and they aren't too cheap

- BS/ DO with NYITCOM (3+4) -- more than 90k in debt just for undergrad

- Cheap / Loan-free In-State Public School(s) --pretty affordable, but may not have as many connections / majors / programs / MCAT prep, etc.

- Bit more pricey "top" schools -- great majors, connections, success rate, prestige, great location, opportunities, pretty well-known, NEED LOANS

At the end of the day, what sort of category should I go for? I know that you can be a doctor from *any* UG school, however, what should be my priority here? I'm an ORM and so should I just go ahead and grab the opportunity with the combined (early) DO programs with KPCOM / NYITCOM (perhaps even RowanSOM)? Or should I go the trad route? In the trad route, should I just go to the cheapest school (state school) that I can and pray for the best? Or should I go to (still an affordable, but with loans) a medium-high tier school?

TL;DR -- what should I prioritize (as an ORM) when selecting an undergrad? Guaranteed acceptance (DO), guaranteed interview (MD), cheap state school (reducing debt), or a bit more pricey "top-xx" school?

Would be happy to provide more details and am grateful for any responses!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.