Christian program students or graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych2008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current students or recent garduates from Wheaton, Fuller, George Fox, Regent, Rosemead, Baylor, or any other Christian Psy.D. Or PhD program care to share some of your experiences or recommendations? Funded, Internships, etc?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students or recent garduates from Wheaton, Fuller, George Fox, Regent, Rosemead, Baylor, or any other Christian Psy.D. Or PhD program care to share some of your experiences or recommendations? Funded, Internships, etc?

Thanks

I just watched For the Bible Tells Me So, a documentary about Christianity and "homosexuality," and someone influential from Fuller (chancellor? someone affiliated with psych department? sorry--can't recall) was interviewed in the film. The interpretation of scripture he offered wasn't exactly "gay-affirmative."

I think The Insiders Guide indicates that Rosemead has a good match rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am now faculty at a Catholic university (for full disclosure, I have been Roman Catholic all my life and was raised in the Church), and have been very pleased by the focus on equality, diversity, tolerance, and social justice in general (including gay marriage). The order that established this university has a history and reputation for being extremely socially progessive, however.

Thanks, but the main difference between the post you linked and my request was my desire to hear from current or former students from Christan Programs. The majority of the discourse in the link your provided was pretty anti-Christian Psych education/world view. Almost no one dealt with their experiences in a Christian psych program.

That discussion had diverged quite a bit from the original question, and it was my hope to get a fresh perspective from actual students/graduates, if that fits a description for anyone active on SDN.

I think I remember seeing/reading that there are a couple Baylor current attendees/former students on here, but I could be wrong.

One of my internshipmates attended one of the programs you've listed, and generally had positive things to say. However, they also pointed out that in order to make themselves competitive for internship and postdoc, they had to go "above and beyond" by securing research experience and clinical placements that, I believe, weren't directly offered by the program (per se). Even then, this intern did actually have to go through the internship match twice, and also mentioned other classmates had run into similar difficulties (although this person was able to secure a top-notch postdoc).

Given this person's political leanings (very liberal), I'm pretty sure I would've heard about it if they'd felt at all stifled in that respect.

I think there's a difference between programs which are housed in religiously-oriented colleges/universities (which doesn't usually have much of a direct effect on the program itself) and programs that explicitly approach psychology from a religious perspective. Baylor is the former.

Agreed, and in all honesty, I don't know into which of those two categories my internshipmate's program falls. My best guess would be, like Baylor, the former.

I don't know if this is against sdn rules, but OP's best bet might be to go back through the old WAMC/acceptance threads and see who got accepted to Xtian schools 1-5 years ago. If they're still active on sdn, PM them and ask. Folks don't usually "out" themselves by stating what school they're from in these threads (and it seems like the pool of Xtian schools is sufficiently small that even saying "I go to one" might make a poster concerned about losing anonymity).

Thanks
Hey there. I just finished my PsyD at George Fox and I must say that I have been quite impressed with the program. I applied to only Christian programs and was accepted to 5/6 (I didn't apply to Biola because they demanded I sign a statement that coincided with their belief system. I do NOT know if that's still the case or not). Incidentally, a retired Biola faculty member from Talbot in the MFT program recommended GFU over Rosemead. The training is very good. GFU has more medically-oriented sites than not. A lot of the faculty are highly empathic and helpful if you need guidance. Some love to get together for lunch or dinner sometimes, too, which contributes to a sense of being a colleague. My practicum sites were diverse and broad, which is what I wanted. I ended up securing an APPIC-accredited site that received APA-accreditation during my internship year--A BIG PLUS. You take quite a few theology integration courses which helps you specialize in working with spiritual/religious individuals. George Fox has two ethnic minority faculty members, which is good, and they are adding more diversity training to the program. They started in the middle of my educational tenure and have been expanding this area, which I really appreciate, being an minority myself. Classes aren't too difficult, overall, and we have some notable faculty in the field. Match rates are very high (last time I checked, there was 100% Match rate this past year, and in the mid-to-high 90s the last couple years). You can check out their website for Match stats. Hopefully that is helpful. Not a lot of private schools are funded anymore and definitely not Christian ones. However, you get solid education, people who will support you and care about professional development if you invest the time, and a strong internship application. If you want to discuss more, PM me and we can talk. Good luck!

I actually did my undergrad at Biola and while it is a small university, Rosemead does have a really good training program both for Phd and Psyd. Both programs are APA accredited and have excellent match rates. The biggest and I mean BIGGEST draw back is there is very little to no funding. This is a small private school and while the school itself has plenty of money, the psychology program does not and if you go there you will have a ton of debt. There is just really no way around it...