Chronic Conditions and Student Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntheClouds4ever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does/has anyone applying (or already accepted) have a chronic condition requiring medications? I feel I have a strong application and good chance of getting accepted In-state. However, I have been out of college for nearly 2 years and since then acquired a chronic condition requiring daily medication. I was hoping to hear some reassurance that programs are available as it would be impossible to pay for the medication without insurance (~2200/month) I made an appointment with my chosen schools to inquire any options available but wanted to see what SDN had to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

My university insurance had great coverage for treatment of a chronic condition as a graduate student. (~$2000/month list to ~50) Changing insurance is a pain though...

Last edited:
Dumb question, but have you looked into healthcare.gov to see if you qualify for anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt consider it a dumb question when assuring access to the meds needed causes more anxiety than the MCAT.. Just saying.

I think trs88 was suggesting *his* question might be dumb, not yours. He probably assumes that you have already checked out healthcare.gov, but just wanted to share the idea with you just in case you haven't.

As far as your question, I was under the impression that students are required to have insurance and at least the schools that I've been involved with have a pretty high minimum standards. So I can't imagine that you'd have to pay out of pocket for the meds. It sounds like you're not on a parent's plan, so you might need to go on a school plan. Good luck!

Depending on the medications, there are also fee assistance programs for some meds.

I think trs88 was suggesting *his* question might be dumb, not yours. He probably assumes that you have already checked out healthcare.gov, but just wanted to share the idea with you just in case you haven't.

That is correct, thanks. I signed up and am only pay a forth of a several hundred dollar plan that includes medical and dental. I only brought it up because I'm also on a daily medication that can cost a ton depending on the insurance ($0 - several hundred). After I registered on the health exchange, they listed all my options with a really good estimate for what I would be paying and deductions and fun things like that all in one spot. I could see which plans I liked (Aetna, BlueCross Blue shield, etc) then cross reference them with the medication I needed and see who would be willing to cover it*.

* To find that out, you'll have to go to the Aetna's or bcbs's main website and see what they rank that type of medication as and how much you would expect to pay.

check the insurance plan's formulary and see how it's covered.