Chronic Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

typingpig

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think an applicant would have a lesser chance of getting into dental school if they mention that they have some sort of chronic disease (example: chronic hepatitis B)? Do you think people with some sort of chronic disease should even be involved in the health professions? I’m relatively new to these forums and am very interested in reading your educated feedbacks. Have a great day! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm, that's a tough question. I think if it's not something that is infectious, then it shouldn't hinder you (ie diabetes). however, if it is chronic, infectious, and life-limiting like hepatitis or aids, then maybe it would interfere with your career. by the same token, there are certainly physicians/dentists with hep B leading normal lives and careers...

I don't think you have to divulge any personal medical history in the application process. Once admitted you have to get immunizations but I think that is primarily for your protection against patients. I am not an expert but I think you are more likely to catch a disease from a patient then vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that he would be treading on thin ice if he didn't at least notify the administration.

Perhaps your right, I was just saying its not on there. I guess this thread addresses some ethics issues..

Regular OSHA standards already call for doctors to treat all patients as if they have a variety of infectious diseases with various transmission processes, so I think if you are careful, you would avoid either being infected or infecting others. I agree you should notify the school after acceptance, but I don't think you should do so before since it is not something that should affect whether or not you are accepted, just as we, when we become employers, cannot screen our employees or clients based on what diseases they carry.

Well first off, an untreatable infectious disease such as Hep. would put your patients at constant risk, and you may want to think of something out side the medical professions. However, if you are going to apply you do not have to tell them that at all, but most schools require you to take out health insurance through there school, and I'm sure that it would eventually come up. Your best option would be to apply and once accepted inform them of the disease. Unless they have some precedent for handling the situation they will not be able to make you leave (at least not with out a million dollar lawsuit settlement).

just to add -some states would require a dentist who is a carrier for hep B to disclose that to their patients. That would kill your practice.

yes, there's definitely ethical issues involved when you are in this situation. Even if you're careful enough to not transmit the disease to the patient, you are still putting the patient at risk, which in any health profession is probably the worst thing you can do. If I were you, I would be truthful and divulge the information or seriously reconsider your options.

Some schools, such as the one I am attending, require you to be immune to hepatitis B in order to matriculate. If you are positive, you can't go to school. They make sure you're tested before you even have a chance to step in. Check with your state regulations to be sure of this in your area. God bless ;)

It truly depends on the nature of your condition. Hep B is a commutable disease that may render you unable to pracitce.

If you are living with a noninfectious, chronic disease (ie diabetes or auto-immune disease) you do not have to mention this to the school at the time of appication. I would recommend mentioning it after matriculation to assure that you are protected under the Americans with Disabilites Act.

Some schools, such as the one I am attending, require you to be immune to hepatitis B in order to matriculate. If you are positive, you can't go to school. They make sure you're tested before you even have a chance to step in. Check with your state regulations to be sure of this in your area. God bless ;)

This is true. You can't go to Tufts with Hepatitis, everyone gets the letter before school starts. I'm pretty sure that goes for TB too.

TB is one of the most contagious diseases. TB has multiple transmission routes , I know anyone working in health care must get a TB test, I have had multiple tests. Even if you are a secretary at an office.

9999999 times out of 10000000 you will get a TB test before a Hepatitis test..