Chronic Illness and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A long stretch of academic excellence will allay Adcom's concerns about you. I've have plenty of student with chronic illnesses, including CD.

Do us a favor? Learn how to use paragraphs. Reading the wall of text was very difficult.
Sorry about that. I'm on mobile. I put spaces in and yet they just didn't translate when I posted. Would 2 years be considered "a long stretch" or should I pursue education after a pre-med program?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everything depends upon your GPAs.
Thank you. I know some people say the MCAT is more important or GPA is more important or that one can balance the other if there is a weakness. Are there any merits in those beliefs? I've often heard that certain schools do a "holistic" admissions process viewing the student as a whole and others do not.

While I live in PA, it is only because of my husband's career. My residency is in Texas and I will be applying to mainly Texas schools come the time. I don't know how competitive Texas programs are, but I do know that a Vet Tech friend of mine could not get into any of the Texas Veterinary doctoral programs. Not a 1:1 comparison but something I've considered. I wouldn't even mind applying outside of Texas to less desirable areas as I do have a passion for serving the underserved.
 
Thank you. I know some people say the MCAT is more important or GPA is more important or that one can balance the other if there is a weakness. Are there any merits in those beliefs? I've often heard that certain schools do a "holistic" admissions process viewing the student as a whole and others do not.

While I live in PA, it is only because of my husband's career. My residency is in Texas and I will be applying to mainly Texas schools come the time. I don't know how competitive Texas programs are, but I do know that a Vet Tech friend of mine could not get into any of the Texas Veterinary doctoral programs. Not a 1:1 comparison but something I've considered. I wouldn't even mind applying outside of Texas to less desirable areas as I do have a passion for serving the underserved.
A strong MCAT does NOT remediate a weak GPA.

Strong GPAs tend to be far more common than strong MCATs.

SDNers should NOT focus on single metrics.

TX law stats that 90% of TX MD seats have to go to TX residents.