Ciao...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tympanic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a non traditional med student. Just started Med1 this August and am suffering through Anatomy with 20 year old kids in my class!

I was an engineer for 12 years and decided to become a doctor. Honestly the jury is out on whether it was a well thought out decision or not.

At the risk of being labeled a spammer I am posting my blog link. I am actually on this site with a different username but registered this username to remain anonymous if people do follow my blog.

http://engineering-to-medicine.blogspot.com/

Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll do my best to answer your post. I do have an anatomy exam coming up so if I don't answer immediately bear with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for making yourself available for questions, a couple of which came to mind. I browsed your blog and didn't find answers, so I'll ask here:

Why did you leave engineering for medicine?

In what ways, if any, are medical students different from engineers?

Where are you attending medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for making yourself available for questions, a couple of which came to mind. I browsed your blog and didn't find answers, so I'll ask here:

Because engineering just wasn't providing me with the satisfaction of helping people the way I wanted to. I was an engineer in a medical device company and it just wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped it would be. Yes, it took me 12 yrs to get to that conclusion and jump ship!

Medical Students use a completely different part of their brain. Honestly I could answer this but it would take a long reply and I have to head over to the cadaver lab!

Ohio

In case anyone was interested and they were following my blog, I just changed the URL.

Blog link

Came from statistics -> med school, so will comment on question 2. I find med school to be significantly different and harder than statistics grad school. In grad school, I would spend 2-3 hours on a single problem trying to puzzle it out. Lots of false starts, detours, etc.

Med school is nothing like that. Nothing so far is conceptually hard. It's just a lot of freaking information. All at once. Then more information. Apparently that repeats for 2 years.

This is interesting everyone's perspective and background related to medical school. I came from an accelerated BSN program (no grad school). I find the skills used to excel in nursing school, memorizing drugs/diseases, are the same skills you use in medical school, except now your memorizing drugs/diseases and molecular pathways. In nursing school a lot of times you just try and get a basic understanding of "why" something happens and "why" this treatment is done and then grind into the memorizing. A lot of people who are having a hard time through medical school in my class seem to be because they are trying attack what we are learning at every different angle, to learn something insideout and even backwards... it just does not leaving them enough time to learn all the other material.

This is interesting everyone's perspective and background related to medical school. I came from an accelerated BSN program (no grad school). I find the skills used to excel in nursing school, memorizing drugs/diseases, are the same skills you use in medical school, except now your memorizing drugs/diseases and molecular pathways. In nursing school a lot of times you just try and get a basic understanding of "why" something happens and "why" this treatment is done and then grind into the memorizing. A lot of people who are having a hard time through medical school in my class seem to be because they are trying attack what we are learning at every different angle, to learn something insideout and even backwards... it just does not leaving them enough time to learn all the other material.

Just added a post to my blog that should answer your post too!:thumbup:

I was in a similar situation my 1st year, but with biochemistry and physiology. But after a lot of hard work and studying with a good friend I was able to pass them and never looked back.

you will be able to get through this. It will be fine. Practice exams, and reviewing all structures and repetition, repetition, repetition will be your friend.

Good luck

I was in a similar situation my 1st year, but with biochemistry and physiology. But after a lot of hard work and studying with a good friend I was able to pass them and never looked back.

you will be able to get through this. It will be fine. Practice exams, and reviewing all structures and repetition, repetition, repetition will be your friend.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice.

I am following your blog. Very interesting. Keep us posted!

Just a word of caution: the updates will ebb and flow depending on how close I am to an exam or how heavy the block I am in is. Happy 'following'.

Thanks for the blog sharing.

Something must me wrong with me.
I don't get why people so concern themselves with comparing themselves to others.

I say, who gives a piece of tp what is going on with others. I can't control that.

As a non-trad, my hope was that more people would be beyond this silly comparison junk.

You aren't stupid. You got in didn't you.
So you feel that way. Any given day I have to fight any number of silly feelings. I say don't let them live in your head. They don't deserve to take up space.

Get what you can get for you. . .regardless of how many times you have to look it up, review it, re-conceptualize it, whatever.
Worrying about other people is such a wasted emotion.

The best to you! "...eyes on the road and hands upon the wheel."

If you care enough, one day some patient is going to be so thankful you were there as a physician for them. :)

I don't get why people so concern themselves with comparing themselves to others.

I say, who gives a piece of tp what is going on with others. I can't control that.

As a non-trad, my hope was that more people would be beyond this silly comparison junk.

So you feel that way. Any given day I have to fight any number of silly feelings. I say don't let them live in your head. They don't deserve to take up space.

Get what you can get for you. . .regardless of how many times you have to look it up, review it, re-conceptualize it, whatever.

If you care enough, one day some patient is going to be so thankful you were there as a physician for them. :)

You raise interesting points. Reply posted on blog so other people have access to it too.

Thank you for a wonderful post. I struggle with the same competition/not-smart-enough problem. I am going to print your words and put on the wall above the computer, so when I feel down, I can read them again!

I say, who gives a piece of tp what is going on with others. I can't control that....

I am still confused though....what is a tp? I need to know so I am careful when to give it and when to not! :)