cigarettes in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Smoke a few cigarettes a month when your at the bar with your bros or smoke a few when your extremely stressed. Just don't get addicted. I know it's "bad"🙄, but thats what works for me. I can still do a mile in 7:30,still bench 300lbs, still a beast in the gym. As i said earlier" just don't get addicted." Guess it's easier said then done, but it works for me. The key is to smoke a few then throw the entire pack away😎

All that's pretty impressive, but have you worked on not sounding like a huge tool?
 
Well, if read my that last post then I'd think you'd be able to answer your own question.
I'm sure you know what the answer is: I couldn't care less...
 
Well, if read my that last post then I'd think you'd be able to answer your own question.
I'm sure you know what the answer is: I couldn't care less...

Oh, I get it.... Cigarettes are making you too cool for school! 👎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, both of y'all be Nice!! Yes, what I said was a d-bag thing to say. Chill Out!!!! Plus more importantly, Y'all are killing my tobacco buzz. Joking.
@mandudebro, No, I think smoking helps many people deal with the stress of premed, and I'm assuming medical school, life. And no, I don't think I'm that. I wouldn't be here on a forum if I thought I was superior, to most everyone. The entire point I was trying to make was that If you're gonna smoke, just try not to become addicted(again,easier said than done). I know at my university that about half of the pre-meds smoke. Of that half, half of them will just smoke for finals week or when studying for the MCAT or DAT and will throw their packs away after the finals or MCAT/DAT are over. And well the other half are chew chew trains. DON't paint all smokers with such a broad brush.
 
I read about 75% of the thread so excuse me if this argument was brought up already.

Something that drives me absolutely INSANE about smoking, is how selfish it is. When you drink, as long as you don't drive or whatever, you're only injuring yourself. When you smoke you don't know how far the smoke you just released is going. I would give you a specific number but I'm not sure if the one I'm thinking of is correct, but trust me it's A LOT further than you think AND it stays there. I'm currently doing research on third-hand smoking, meaning residual smoke from a smoker's house, bed, car, wherever they're often around. Second-(and possibly third-)hand smoking are SERIOUS problems.

I have asthma. No, not the occasional coughcough asthma, but the I've nearly died quite often asthma. So the person above who said 'if you don't like smoke, don't go into the restaurant'. It's not that I don't like smoke, I just like BREATHING. Taking that right away from me because you enjoy messing up your lungs to look cool or relax is absolutely ridiculous! You're not the one paying for my inhalers and hospital trips.

Do I sound angry about the subject? 'Cause I am.
 
I read about 75% of the thread so excuse me if this argument was brought up already.

Something that drives me absolutely INSANE about smoking, is how selfish it is. When you drink, as long as you don't drive or whatever, you're only injuring yourself. When you smoke you don't know how far the smoke you just released is going. I would give you a specific number but I'm not sure if the one I'm thinking of is correct, but trust me it's A LOT further than you think AND it stays there. I'm currently doing research on third-hand smoking, meaning residual smoke from a smoker's house, bed, car, wherever they're often around. Second-(and possibly third-)hand smoking are SERIOUS problems.

I have asthma. No, not the occasional coughcough asthma, but the I've nearly died quite often asthma. So the person above who said 'if you don't like smoke, don't go into the restaurant'. It's not that I don't like smoke, I just like BREATHING. Taking that right away from me because you enjoy messing up your lungs to look cool or relax is absolutely ridiculous! You're not the one paying for my inhalers and hospital trips.

Do I sound angry about the subject? 'Cause I am.

I definitely agree with you Camy, and not just because of your awesome squirtle avatar with the MJ reference underneath. I actually have an issue with drinking too (as I mentioned previously). I've never understood the concept of willingly destroying your own judgement for a few hours just to have a "good time". But I'm a dull and boring individual, so what do I know. 🙄

The reality is, people are going to drink and smoke. I don't mind the drinking, as long as - like you said, they aren't being a detriment to anyone around them. Social drinking is all good if people want to do it, but getting "trashed" is just *****ic.

Back to cigs... it's unfortunate that people who have asthma (which isn't their fault) has to deal with the effects of second hand smoke. I don't have asthma, but my eyes get really irritated, dry, and red around heavy smoke. I've just learned to avoid it. The research for heavy smoking is extremely evident and even publicized, but if people aren't going to heed the advice, then there's nothing you can do.

Ultimately, I don't think any less of people who want to smoke lightly. There are, of course, better ways to manage stress... like actually dealing with it. But I have my flaws too... so who am I to judge. 😳



Just kidding. I don't have flaws.
 
Ok, simple answer....if you want to be a doctor find a better way to deal with your stress than smoking.

Beyond all the arguments about second hand smoke and even being a bad example there is a risk nobody has warned you of......

Seriously pissing off another SDN member (or a future parent or even a boss) with your arrogance while he watches his 10yr old die from CF because you don't care how precious the gift of being able to breathe is!