You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cigarettes
Started by GangaMaster
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
smoking is for weak minded people, medicine doesn't need any of the weak minded people
I have always been a social smoker, would bum cigarettes from friends when drunk and such. But first and second year was the first time I was intermittently buying packs myself which I haven't done since.Do any of you smoke cigarettes only during the basic science years?
They taste gross. And the nicotine buzz is overrated so I don't quite understand why people smoke for any reason except to be rebellious or conform to social pressures.
With that said, there are a few of my classmates who smoke socially. One of them seems to have developed a regular habit now though.
With that said, there are a few of my classmates who smoke socially. One of them seems to have developed a regular habit now though.
I know a vascular surgery fellow who smokes like a chimney.
yes,smoking is for weak minded people, medicine doesn't need any of the weak minded people
(tobacco) Pipe smoking is where it's at.
They taste gross. And the nicotine buzz is overrated so I don't quite understand why people smoke for any reason except to be rebellious or conform to social pressures.
Easier to keep weight off / manage hunger (why young women smoke). There are different kids of buzz depending on how you smoke the ciggy.
Do any of you smoke cigarettes only during the basic science years?
Yeah, but then I smoked through college. Someone here introduced me to swedish snus. I don't smoke any more.
Turns out they're highly addictive.They taste gross. And the nicotine buzz is overrated so I don't quite understand why people smoke for any reason except to be rebellious or conform to social pressures.
With that said, there are a few of my classmates who smoke socially. One of them seems to have developed a regular habit now though.
During a group assignment today, one of the cases involved a patient who smoked infrequently, which was presented as how long it took him to get through a pack of cigarettes. To figure out just what this frequency was, I asked if anyone knew how many cigarettes were in a pack. No one knew off-hand and we had to look it up. I think it's pretty uncommon in medical school. In the US in general, it seems much less common in younger people. In just my personal experience, the only younger people I've know to smoke cigarettes (in the US) do so as part of a being rebellious thing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think your avatar deserves an update, then 😉Fifteen months ago today, I quit cold a pack a day smoking habit. And still, rarely, when I see people smoking I feel like having one. Only those who smoke and have the addiction really know how difficult it is.
LOL...i guess..i just happen to like reading CamusI think your avatar deserves an update, then 😉
I know a vascular surgery fellow who smokes like a chimney.
Gotta get business from somewhere
Smoking is disgusting
Learn your buzzes. No namby pamby bs here. You're going to be treating real people who really get high. If you don't know what the **** does, how can you honestly lay out what's what? Jeez, the Bopeep's of the world turn into avenging angels saving people from themselves without ever having tasted the poison fruit. Know what's what, and know as "pleasant" as some **** might be, it can kill you, or make you totally f***ed up. This post ought get me banned. There was a doc, twenty, thirty-maybe 40 years ago who got popped: Claimed to be a Eupohorologist. He would titrate the dose of euphorogenic meds for dying patients. Ask your attendings about Bromton's Cocktail. Oh yeah—that was some serious stuff: ETOH, Cocaine, Opiate [not sure which one] for terminal Ca patients. They'd die high.
social aspect of smoking, what???
How does having a stick in your mouth make you social.
It is definitely about the buzz, drinking and smoking, sexing and smoking.
Nicotine is a very subtle yet addicting drug.
I'm going to guess you've never smoked, in which case you can't really understand the social nature of this activity. That doesn't change the fact that many smokers get something other than the buzz from sharing a cigarette with others. Remember your experience, or lack there of, may be miles away from the experiences of others.
Ironically, this post read like someone high on cocaine was writing it.Learn your buzzes. No namby pamby bs here. You're going to be treating real people who really get high. If you don't know what the **** does, how can you honestly lay out what's what? Jeez, the Bopeep's of the world turn into avenging angels saving people from themselves without ever having tasted the poison fruit. Know what's what, and know as "pleasant" as some **** might be, it can kill you, or make you totally f***ed up. This post ought get me banned. There was a doc, twenty, thirty-maybe 40 years ago who got popped: Claimed to be a Eupohorologist. He would titrate the dose of euphorogenic meds for dying patients. Ask your attendings about Bromton's Cocktail. Oh yeah—that was some serious stuff: ETOH, Cocaine, Opiate [not sure which one] for terminal Ca patients. They'd die high.
Sadly at the age of 62 I'd be quite dead.Ironically, this post read like someone high on cocaine was writing it.
You've clearly never written anything on cocaine.Ironically, this post read like someone high on cocaine was writing it.
I have not, actually.😳You've clearly never written anything on cocaine.
There was an urban legend from my medical school that one of the hotshot CT surgeons had a special negative pressure booth built into his OR so that he could scrub out and light up mid case.
Clarifying for... reasons... Neither have I.I have not, actually.😳
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I smoked a cigarette once while throwed in college. Didn't really get much out of it - good or bad. Felt a little bit of a buzz that was somewhat amusing, but the flavor was disgusting. And that's coming from someone who used to smoke a cigar every couple of months. It was just a plain Malboro red, though, so maybe higher quality stuff would be more enjoyable.
I do, on the other hand, very much enjoy hookah. It's only fun as a social thing, but I try and do it once or twice a year. Still carcinogenic as ****, but I like the buzz much more and the flavor is typically better.
I do, on the other hand, very much enjoy hookah. It's only fun as a social thing, but I try and do it once or twice a year. Still carcinogenic as ****, but I like the buzz much more and the flavor is typically better.
Lol, yeah, hookah is like the Smirnoff Ice of smoking (i.e., candy).I do, on the other hand, very much enjoy hookah. It's only fun as a social thing, but I try and do it once or twice a year. Still carcinogenic as ****, but I like the buzz much more and the flavor is typically better.
Lol, yeah, hookah is like the Smirnoff Ice of smoking (i.e., candy).
Except it's the equivalent of smoking 100 cigarettes in one typical hookah sitting.
Most of my med school friends smoke like chimneys when they are out partying, but I refuse to go near cigarettes. It just seems too much like playing with fire.
Cigars on the other hand, damn I enjoy them and I treat myself to one once a year. The social aspect of lighting up in a cigar shop and shooting the breeze with whatever tourist or professional or low-life wanders through the door is my favorite part of the experience. I am very envious of cigar shop owners.
If I could find a medical specialty where I can get paid to b.s. with patients all day, I'd be set for life.
Cigars on the other hand, damn I enjoy them and I treat myself to one once a year. The social aspect of lighting up in a cigar shop and shooting the breeze with whatever tourist or professional or low-life wanders through the door is my favorite part of the experience. I am very envious of cigar shop owners.
If I could find a medical specialty where I can get paid to b.s. with patients all day, I'd be set for life.
don't assume anything, I wont assume anything.I'm going to guess you've never smoked, in which case you can't really understand the social nature of this activity. That doesn't change the fact that many smokers get something other than the buzz from sharing a cigarette with others. Remember your experience, or lack there of, may be miles away from the experiences of others.
I don't get the whole bull crap socializing, ohh I drink socially, ohh I do drugs socially, please get a grip.
Smoking around people who smoke is socializing, because it is sharing a common activity, it is like going to a golf club and say, nah I rather not play golf with you guys and just going to stand and watch, all others will be, wtf
social aspect of smoking, what???
How does having a stick in your mouth make you social.
It is definitely about the buzz, drinking and smoking, sexing and smoking.
Nicotine is a very subtle yet addicting drug.
Smoking around people who smoke is socializing, because it is sharing a common activity, it is like going to a golf club and say, nah I rather not play golf with you guys and just going to stand and watch, all others will be, wtf
I think you just contradicted yourself.
don't assume anything, I wont assume anything.
I don't get the whole bull crap socializing, ohh I drink socially, ohh I do drugs socially, please get a grip.
Smoking around people who smoke is socializing, because it is sharing a common activity, it is like going to a golf club and say, nah I rather not play golf with you guys and just going to stand and watch, all others will be, wtf
Just stop posting. You aren't making any sense right now.
peer pressure. Just because it is a common activity doesn't make it ok.I think you just contradicted yourself.
peer pressure. Just because it is a common activity doesn't make it ok.
Nobody in medicine who smokes thinks it's okay to smoke. They just do it and for different reasons. Get off your high horse.
I've smoked 1.5 cigarettes in my lifetime, just to do it. It was unimpressive, but I found myself wanting another cigarette the next morning for some strange reason. I threw the whole pack out, naturally. It was probably a good decision.
many say," ohh I just do it socially, the nicotine is just there I don't know why"
They do it for one reason: nicotine.
It chills you, makes you less hungry it is pretty awesome especially if you work at something resembling a hospital, that is if you don't love coffee and don't have benzo prescription, if that's the case you already settled.
They do it for one reason: nicotine.
It chills you, makes you less hungry it is pretty awesome especially if you work at something resembling a hospital, that is if you don't love coffee and don't have benzo prescription, if that's the case you already settled.
Except it's the equivalent of smoking 100 cigarettes in one typical hookah sitting.
And this is why I keep it as a rare luxury...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And this is why I keep it as a rare luxury...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm hoping I got PiMMM extra gene, nomsayin'
When I lived in Costs Rica, I met a retired American doctor who purposefully took up smoking when he turned 55. He said that way he could derive all the benefits of smoking and it was extremely likely he would die of something else before the emphysema or lung cancer caught up with him.Nobody in medicine who smokes thinks it's okay to smoke. They just do it and for different reasons. Get off your high horse.
I've smoked 1.5 cigarettes in my lifetime, just to do it. It was unimpressive, but I found myself wanting another cigarette the next morning for some strange reason. I threw the whole pack out, naturally. It was probably a good decision.
And I had to laugh when I heard your cigarette experience, I did the same thing when I was 13. I figured if I smoked the next cigarette, I would likely smoke 100,000 more, so I should quit now while it was still easy.
don't assume anything, I wont assume anything.
I don't get the whole bull crap socializing, ohh I drink socially, ohh I do drugs socially, please get a grip.
Smoking around people who smoke is socializing, because it is sharing a common activity, it is like going to a golf club and say, nah I rather not play golf with you guys and just going to stand and watch, all others will be, wtf
Please don't take this as a personal attack, but don't you think that you are making assumptions by speculating about the reasons other people do what they do? Just an observation.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Except it's the equivalent of smoking 100 cigarettes in one typical hookah sitting.
I remember smoking hookah with unusually strong tobacco back in undergrad. My friends and I ended up getting a killer buzz, but an even worse headache the next day. I might as well have smoked 100 cigarettes.
No. I'm sure there are people who smoke during the clinical years and beyond too.Do any of you smoke cigarettes only during the basic science years?
don't assume anything, I wont assume anything.
I don't get the whole bull crap socializing, ohh I drink socially, ohh I do drugs socially, please get a grip.
Smoking around people who smoke is socializing, because it is sharing a common activity, it is like going to a golf club and say, nah I rather not play golf with you guys and just going to stand and watch, all others will be, wtf
I'm only pointing this out because I've seen you make the mistake a few times (and like inexplicably adding apostrophes to nouns to pluralize them, lots of people seem to do it for some reason), and it's going to be embarrassing if you actually do it in the future when writing something that matters with your real name attached.
It's "I'd rather . . . " not "I rather . . . "
And just for those reading at home, when you want to admit that you exhibit favoritism towards one thing or another, you say "I'm biased", not "I'm bias." Unless you indeed are Len Bias back from the dead.