Cinci vs. Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seabass11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to jump on the rank list bandwagon, but it's getting down to crunch time and it would be great to get some outside input. I'm down to these 2 programs as my #1. Important considerations are strength of training, international and EMS opportunities, quality of job after resdidency and diversity of patient population. Of couse, location factors in as well and while I know Chicago is a great town I don't know much about Cinci. Any thoughts or personal experience about these programs would be a huge help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

seabass11 said:
Sorry to jump on the rank list bandwagon, but it's getting down to crunch time and it would be great to get some outside input. I'm down to these 2 programs as my #1. Important considerations are strength of training, international and EMS opportunities, quality of job after resdidency and diversity of patient population. Of couse, location factors in as well and while I know Chicago is a great town I don't know much about Cinci. Any thoughts or personal experience about these programs would be a huge help. Thanks.

As a former Chicago area paramedic and instructor at Evanston Hospital (a NW facility) whose mentor (in residency) is a Cinci grad for both residency and tox - if EMS is a concern at all then Cincinnati is the way to go. The EMS program at Cinci is so much more well defined than that at any Chicago program. Plus the helos are a huge plus in EMS.

Just my $0.02 (actual cash value $0.005)

- H

Go with Cinci.........chicago is a great town, but NW is not the strongest program in the city and pales in comparison to Cinci's reputation and training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Cincinnati and was not offered one at Northwestern.

I can't imagine a more well-rounded program than UC. They seem cover all the bases--trauma, resuss, airway, peds, ems, flight, mixed pt population, graded responsibility, great academic resources, strong faculty, superb reputation, huge alumni base...

... the only common complaint about the program that I heard from residents when I visited was with children's hospital--and just with the paperwork/logistics headache aspect, not the clinical experience itself...

I'd have to agree with everything said above. Northwestern is a solid program but, 7 months into my intern year, I'd still pick Cinci again no matter what my choices were. PM me with any questions you have - I'd love to answer them.

As far as Children's goes, it does involve a little paperwork as we don't dictate our charts over there like we do at UC. But at >90,000 visits a year, their ED is as busy as ours and the variety of patients more than makes up for a little added paperwork.

I'm not sure about international EM -- I haven't yet tried an elective in this (although I plan to), but our program seems to be able to hook us up with whatever opportunity we are looking for. As far as EMS, our flight program is great -- many of us (including myself) are also assistant EMS directors for different townships. As an assistant director I'm giving lectures, setting protocols, riding along with them every now and again, etc. Our patient populations differ at all 3 of our main facilities (4 counting childrens) -- pretty diverse.

-Sven
(Cinci EM-R2)

I will say only this, I have heard some rumblings by EM4's regarding Cincy. I think it is a fantastic program, great reputation and strength in the EM world...I don't think any of that would be enough for me to choose a 4 year program though. I am sure that doesn't help you...or maybe it does.

Freeeedom! said:
I will say only this, I have heard some rumblings by EM4's regarding Cincy. I think it is a fantastic program, great reputation and strength in the EM world...I don't think any of that would be enough for me to choose a 4 year program though. I am sure that doesn't help you...or maybe it does.

Yeah, but NW is also a four year, so in a head to head...

- H