Cincy vs. Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

steelerfan24

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been planning on going to Cincy for the past few months, but just got accepted to Drexel. I am really conflicted because I am pretty sure I would enjoy Drexel more due to it being closer to family/friends and being a large city but I know that Cincy is hands down the better school and cheaper. I would like to get some outside opinions before making a decision. I'm interested in IM and psych at the moment, if that makes any difference

Drexel (philly campus)
Pros:
- Closer to family/friends
- Like the city a lot
- True pass/fail
- More matches on east coast (where I want to be after med school)

Cons:
- Rotations are all over the place/no teaching hospital (big con)
- ~60k more expensive in terms of tuition, cost of living seems to be similar
- Large class


Cincy
Pros:
- Better school according to US News and PD rankings (though match list doesn’t really reflect that)
- Home teaching hospital
- Can get in-state tuition after one year

Cons:
- Further from family/friends
- P/f but with internal quartile ranking
- A lot of matches in ohio/midwest
- Further from family/friends
 
Cincy no doubt

Edit: no reason to pay more for a worse school that doesn’t have a home teaching hospital. Cincy will keep your options open as well.

Agreed. Having a home program is a huge advantage, Drexel doesn’t and has been a bit disorganized with rotations.