Cis Trans vs. E/Z

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wormboge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does cis/trans require one substituent on each carbon to be hydrogen? Does E/Z require another atom to be bonded to whatever atom is bonded to the carbons sharing the double bond?

Members don't see this ad.

Does cis/trans require one substituent on each carbon to be hydrogen? Does E/Z require another atom to be bonded to whatever atom is bonded to the carbons sharing the double bond?

CIS/TRANS question: I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think so.
E/Z question: E/Z has to do with ranking the highest priority substituents.

I found a couple of tutorial pages that may be helpful (listed in no particular order)

Reactions: 1 user
I learned that cis/trans was casual naming and could refer to whatever substituents you cared about while E/Z was more formal and you had to consider the priorities on each carbon. If you consider 2-chloro-2-butene, the two methyl groups can be cis, but because Cl has higher priority than CH3 in IUPAC rules, the formal name would be E.

cis/trans is for naming geometric isomer with similar groups across the double bonds.

E/Z is for naming geometric isomer with dissimilar groups across the double bonds.

Reactions: 1 user