Cis Trans vs. E/Z

Started by wormboge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wormboge

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does cis/trans require one substituent on each carbon to be hydrogen? Does E/Z require another atom to be bonded to whatever atom is bonded to the carbons sharing the double bond?
 
Does cis/trans require one substituent on each carbon to be hydrogen? Does E/Z require another atom to be bonded to whatever atom is bonded to the carbons sharing the double bond?

CIS/TRANS question: I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think so.
E/Z question: E/Z has to do with ranking the highest priority substituents.

I found a couple of tutorial pages that may be helpful (listed in no particular order)
 
I learned that cis/trans was casual naming and could refer to whatever substituents you cared about while E/Z was more formal and you had to consider the priorities on each carbon. If you consider 2-chloro-2-butene, the two methyl groups can be cis, but because Cl has higher priority than CH3 in IUPAC rules, the formal name would be E.