Citations in MD/Phd essay?

Started by chattkis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chattkis

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Describing my research involves giving some facts that have been published (mostly by my PI). Is it ok to leave out citations or should I include them if I have enough characters remaining?? Thanks
 
I'm actually talking about my "significant research experience" essay
 
When I applied, I didn't bother to do this.

However, I think some people do it while others don't. It probably doesn't make a big difference in the long run.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
chattkis said:
Describing my research involves giving some facts that have been published (mostly by my PI). Is it ok to leave out citations or should I include them if I have enough characters remaining?? Thanks

I just choose to to reference it as "previous results showed" kinda citation rather than footnote and include a bibliography 😉 Nothing formal. Then I took it from there on how what the lab is doing.

Good Luck
 
I faced the same problem last year. I ended up not having enough room for it, so I just didn't include any citations. This was never brought up by any of my interviewers, but then again I didn't get interviews at every place I sent the essays to.

I don't think that it really made any difference, but maybe someone else has a different opinion?