MD/PhD Significant Research Essay/Hours and Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

speakermain8918

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I'm applying MD/PhD this cycle and had a few questions. Throughout college, I've been a part of engineer teams working to build medical devices and a qualitative research study. I've included these experiences as "Research/Lab" in my activities, along with my lab work, but did not discuss them in my Significant Research Essay (SRE). My questions are: 1) Should an applicant discuss all activities listed as "Research/Lab" in their SRE? and 2) should the Significant Research Hours only include research discussed in the SRE or can it include hours from all activities listed as "Research/Lab" but not discussed in the SRE? Thank you!
 
Hi! In last year’s application cycle, I was in a similar position as you are. 1) I did not discuss all activities listed as “Research/Lab” in my SRE. I discussed my most significant. It’s only 10,000 characters at the end of the day, and in order to discuss your research projects thoroughly, I think it’s best to focus on your most significant. 2) I included all hours listed as “Research/Lab,” even if I did not describe the activity in the SRE. Hope this helps!
 
Hi! In last year’s application cycle, I was in a similar position as you are. 1) I did not discuss all activities listed as “Research/Lab” in my SRE. I discussed my most significant. It’s only 10,000 characters at the end of the day, and in order to discuss your research projects thoroughly, I think it’s best to focus on your most significant. 2) I included all hours listed as “Research/Lab,” even if I did not describe the activity in the SRE. Hope this helps!
Thank you!