• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Citing a self-made program

DrRedstone

PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I made a short python script to generate search strings to ensure consistency throughout a study. How would I cite this program in AMA style? Should I upload it somewhere like GitHub so it is officially published?

Edit: Do I even need to specifically site it?

Questions I never thought I'd have to ask xD

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Gonzalo de Montalvo

El heroe de la villa
2+ Year Member
May 10, 2017
  1. Medical Student
I don't think you need to cite it. I think you say "We developed an in-house script to ..." and then if the journal needs it you upload to GitHub and reference however.

If you really want to though, I do know that you can publish to a GitHub repo and get a DOI so your program is citable, see this link.

Pretty handy IMO. My question is whether or not a piece of software with a DOI counts as a publication on ERAS. I'm going with yes, because it's a piece of work that others can contribute to, reference, etc., but I would probably list it under the "non-published" category or whatever. Also it goes without saying, but in the chance you get a reviewer who knows his software engineering, that you may be asked to make the code more clear, comment it out, etc. Wouldn't want crappy code to be the reason a paper doesn't get pub'ed. And while I do think that all code contributions that are engineered well are worthwhile for the community, if the "short script" is a wrapper for something or is hard-coded or is trivial, I don't think that is necessarily is need of being "published" (again, outside of the journal asking for it).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.