City College Postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I've been perusing past threads about Hunter and City College. Does anybody have CURRENT information on how the CCNY post-bacc program is with the current director and faculty? I know that a few years back, the director went to Hunter. I really want to apply to Hunter, but they no longer do spring admissions..... This will be a problem for me as I don't want to wait a year just to apply to Hunter, especially since I am ineligible for their certificate if I take anymore than 2-3 classes as a non-degree student.

Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. Faculty are fantastic. The postbac structure itself is less so.

If it were me, I would try to get into some classes (physics, calc, statistics, computer science, astronomy all might have spaces available) for the spring as a non-degree. See how you like it. I mention the non-required options because they do count as BCPM on your AMCAS.

See my history for the post I just made in another thread. Feel free to PM me!

To make sure that my info was current, I went back and looked at the PPS website re: committee letter.

http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/premed/committee-letter.cfm

The situation is a little worse than I thought. A few years ago, City College formed an actual premed committee to write actual committee letters. Postbac students, however, have theirs written by Ms. Smith alone.

As I said in the other thread, she and I did not click at all. I applied without a letter. I have a complicated situation about which I would only trust a long-standing advisor to write. Fortunately, I was lucky to have a close relationship with my PI and my undergrad advisor. Another person may do fine with the premed office, though.

So my view of CCNY is an A or A+ for scientific training, a D for scheduling (see other post), and no ability to comment on advising.