Civil Infractions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skybliss

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recieved a speeding ticket (counts as a civil infraction, not misdemeanor or felony). After reading some threads on this, at first, I was leaning towards not putting this on the application because it's not really an issue, and it's not a misdemeanor or felony.

But then I started thinking that if schools do background checks, they will see the speeding ticket, and at first glance, they wont know if it's a civil infraction or a misdemeanor. They'll eventually figure out that it's a civil infraction, but their first impression might be that I can keeping it a secret from them. (Speeding tickets are misdemeanors in most states from what I hear.)

So right now, I'm leaning towards putting it on the application just to avoid trouble. But now I hate how it's going to be a taint on my application that might not be necessary. What do you think I should do?

Here's their prompt.
Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony (including traffic violations but excluding parking violations)?

Here's my response so far.
I received a speeding ticket counting as a civil infraction. I am relieved that nobody was hurt and I am grateful for being reminded to drive more carefully.

I was going 83 in a 60 zone. It's so stupid. I NEVER speed. All my friends complain when they are in my car because I'm always such a conservative driver. Then the one time I accidentally speed because it's after midterms and I'm going on a road trip with my gf, I get a stupid ticket. The bloody speed limit was 70 mph just a few more miles down the highway, and everyone was already going 75ish. /rant

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I would not put anything down. The questions is whether you had a misdemeanor or felony. Had you been going faster it might have been a misdemeanor but its not. I had a ticket for going 81 in a 55 zone and for a similar prompt did not put down anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not put anything down. The questions is whether you had a misdemeanor or felony. Had you been going faster it might have been a misdemeanor but its not. I had a ticket for going 81 in a 55 zone and for a similar prompt did not put down anything.

agreed.

so, if adjudication is withheld, it's like it never even happened, right? i also got a speeding ticket, but i don't know if it's a misdemeanor or what (i'm looking into it now), but since it was the only thing on my record the judge just let it slide with some traffic school.

so, if adjudication is withheld, it's like it never even happened, right? i also got a speeding ticket, but i don't know if it's a misdemeanor or what (i'm looking into it now), but since it was the only thing on my record the judge just let it slide with some traffic school.

I think its done on a state by state basis. NY, where I'm from, only charges violations for speeding and misdemeanors for stuff like reckless driving. You might not have to do any traffic school and just pay the ticket and take the points vs. your license.

I think its done on a state by state basis. NY, where I'm from, only charges violations for speeding and misdemeanors for stuff like reckless driving. You might not have to do any traffic school and just pay the ticket and take the points vs. your license.

i guess it's different everywhere. he let me do traffic school and not get any points because it was my first offense. but my impression was that if i do it again, no traffic school for me. just points. i don't intend to do it again. it was one of those "whoops not paying attention to the speedometer on this empty straight road" events.

I recieved a speeding ticket (counts as a civil infraction, not misdemeanor or felony). After reading some threads on this, at first, I was leaning towards not putting this on the application because it's not really an issue, and it's not a misdemeanor or felony.

But then I started thinking that if schools do background checks, they will see the speeding ticket, and at first glance, they wont know if it's a civil infraction or a misdemeanor. They'll eventually figure out that it's a civil infraction, but their first impression might be that I can keeping it a secret from them. (Speeding tickets are misdemeanors in most states from what I hear.)

So right now, I'm leaning towards putting it on the application just to avoid trouble. But now I hate how it's going to be a taint on my application that might not be necessary. What do you think I should do?

Here's their prompt.
Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony (including traffic violations but excluding parking violations)?

Here's my response so far.
I received a speeding ticket counting as a civil infraction. I am relieved that nobody was hurt and I am grateful for being reminded to drive more carefully.

I was going 83 in a 60 zone. It's so stupid. I NEVER speed. All my friends complain when they are in my car because I'm always such a conservative driver. Then the one time I accidentally speed because it's after midterms and I'm going on a road trip with my gf, I get a stupid ticket. The bloody speed limit was 70 mph just a few more miles down the highway, and everyone was already going 75ish. /rant

:)

If they ask for 'traffic violations,' then put it. It will NOT, I repeat NOT hurt you. It will make you look honest. The last thing you want is for the admission committee to think you're being dishonest or withholding information ... especially with something that won't hurt you at all.

I kind of think the whole "I was grateful no one got hurt, and appreciative of the reminder to drive slower" sounds incredibly contrived and lame. Personally, I would just list it and not say anything else about it.

Completely agree. 'On ___ of ___ I received a civil infraction for ____. I went to court on _____, paid a fine, and received no record of the incident. I can explain if asked'

Done.

I wouldn't mention it... I doubt they'll check your history, and if it's been long enough, don't things like speeding tickets get cleared from your driving record? I hope that mine (both when I was 17) are long gone. Does it not work that way?

I wouldn't mention it... I doubt they'll check your history, and if it's been long enough, don't things like speeding tickets get cleared from your driving record? I hope that mine (both when I was 17) are long gone. Does it not work that way?

They don't go on any sort of record that would come up in a background check anyway, but the OP is concerned because the app specifically said 'include traffic violations.' I really think the speeding tickets falls under this category, and I'm 100% sure it won't affect his/her chances at that school. I think a call to the admissions office could help too OP if your still worried.

Why would a school care about traffic violations? That's pretty stupid. If I was asked to include something I did as a 17 year old (I'm 24 now) I'm pretty sure I would balk at that.

Why would a school care about traffic violations? That's pretty stupid. If I was asked to include something I did as a 17 year old (I'm 24 now) I'm pretty sure I would balk at that.

I don't think most people would argue that it seems a bit severe, but thats not the issue. It's not how absurd YOU think it is, it matters what the school asks for. If you failed an underwater basket weaving class freshman year because it was pointless and you never went to class (etc), you probably wouldn't feel it was relevant and important ... but if the medical school app asked to list ALL classes taken, you would list it. Otherwise, you're being dishonest and the consequences for that are much worse than the consequences for listing your F in underwater basket weaving. See my point??? Honestly is always the best policy.

I suppose Hunter has a point. List it, but leave out the "glad no one was hurt" part, because that does sound lame.

Most people have had a speeding ticket by the time they're 25 (if not several) so it's really nothing to explain in detail.