CK advice needed! Please help an underperforming IMG!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

islandmedz

Reaction score
I REALLY need help/advice! I have CK in 5 weeks
I've been in dedicated for 4 weeks, but actively studying for 2 months prior to that part-time.
I'm a non-US IMG btw.

I took NBME 7 as a baseline around 14 weeks out got 172 (60%), the predictor has it at 223
I wasn't surprised but this made me study like hell for 4 weeks full-time.

Then I took NBME 6 yesterday (5 weeks out) and got 178 (71%), predicted at 230

I don't want to take comfort in the predicted scores so this is devastating.

What should I do!? Postpone? or continue prepping? I need advice on how to raise this score please!
I only have 5 weeks of full dedicated study left, after that would be part-time. That's why I chose the date I did.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I REALLY need help/advice! I have CK in 5 weeks
I've been in dedicated for 4 weeks, but actively studying for 2 months prior to that part-time.
I'm a non-US IMG btw. Haven't done step 1 yet (I realize it's a dumb decision but really can't change it now so be nice)

I took NBME 7 as a baseline around 14 weeks out got 172 (60%), the predictor has it at 223
I wasn't surprised but this made me study like hell for 4 weeks full-time.

Then I took NBME 6 yesterday (5 weeks out) and got 178 (71%), predicted at 230

I don't want to take comfort in the predicted scores so this is devastating.

What should I do!? Postpone? or continue prepping? I need advice on how to raise this score please!
I only have 5 weeks of full dedicated study left, after that would be part-time. That's why I chose the date I did.
did you do UWSA1 and UWSA2?

No, not as yet
UWSA2 is very predictive of how you'll do, while UWSA1 over predicts. So you still have to take the main predictors.. Study harder, I don't think anyone will tell you different. If you're getting 170-180s you are def. doing something wrong. Something with your studying habits. Find it out and change and see how you do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UWSA2 is very predictive of how you'll do, while UWSA1 over predicts. So you still have to take the main predictors.. Study harder, I don't think anyone will tell you different. If you're getting 170-180s you are def. doing something wrong. Something with your studying habits. Find it out and change and see how you do.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I postponed my date and re-evaluated my study plan. We'll see how it goes!

Hi there! You can make a lot of progress in a matter of five weeks. To see significant score boosts, more questions and practice tests are key! Make sure you get through the entire UWorld question bank by test day. In the beginning you can do subject-specific blocks on tutor mode (I.e. cardio questions only on your cardio days). Then after you review each system, you can switch to random, timed blocks. Your scores are also very good being that you are still 5 weeks away. Once you are 4 weeks out, you should stick to random, timed blocks. I would recommend going through NBMEs/UWSAs every 2-4 days until test day to build your endurance and to get you comfortable taking these exams. On the days you are not doing practice tests or reviewing them (make sure you thoroughly review all your practice tests!), get through 1-2 timed 40Q blocks. Spend extra time on the questions that you get wrong and really try to understand why you got them wrong. Refer to First Aid (I recommend using the Step 1 First Aid for ALL USMLE exams including Step 2 CK and Step 3) or other book/resource you have for every question you come across.

Best of luck!! You've got this!!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
HI wondering if you could you provide an update on your UWSA1/2 results and how you did on there real exam? I'm kind of in the same boat. Just trying to get some opinions. I'm so worried about relying on a predictor.

HI wondering if you could you provide an update on your UWSA1/2 results and how you did on there real exam? I'm kind of in the same boat. Just trying to get some opinions. I'm so worried about relying on a predictor.
I added on 3 more weeks and took the advice above. Got 232 on UWSA1 (3weeks out), hit my weak areas hardcore and got 244 on UWSA2 (5 days out) taking the new free 120 today and real deal is 2 days. Trying to get 240+
Push hard and it’s doable!

I added on 3 more weeks and took the advice above. Got 232 on UWSA1 (3weeks out), hit my weak areas hardcore and got 244 on UWSA2 (5 days out) taking the new free 120 today and real deal is 2 days. Trying to get 240+
Push hard and it’s doable!
hi what did u do to increase? just uw?