CK after the pool changes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joanna1987

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just passed Step 1 and want to take CK as soon as possible. I would ideally take it before June 30th but I'm not sure if I'm ready for this date.

Anyway, I'll probably take it after the pool changes.
Do you know/think that the change will affect the exam in a huge way?
Maybe you know someone who took it after the same change last year...
I've heard horror stories about those changes and you know, making sure I know what I'm gonna be dealing with :p

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My close friend took it last year right after last year's pool change and I remember she sent me a picture after she was done with the exam to show how exhausted she was. She did well on Step1 (same range as us) and knew she passed it when she finished. After CK, she was completely demoralized and just literally crying about how difficult it was. She got her score after like 2 months because there was a delay and obviously passed at slightly below the mean. To be fair, all my other friends who took it all said that step2CK was much easier than step1. Not sure why i'm reading so many stories of how vague and difficult CK is, and after struggling to study for step1 i'm worried of what awaits me in the near future. I wouldn't want to screw this up after doing fairly well on step1. I did well on my clinical NBME shelf exams last year, but since that was over a year ago (plus step 1 studying) I feel like I have to relearn many things... again.

Reactions: 1 user
My close friend took it last year right after last year's pool change and I remember she sent me a picture after she was done with the exam to show how exhausted she was. She did well on Step1 (same range as us) and knew she passed it when she finished. After CK, she was completely demoralized and just literally crying about how difficult it was. She got her score after like 2 months because there was a delay and obviously passed at slightly below the mean. To be fair, all my other friends who took it all said that step2CK was much easier than step1. Not sure why i'm reading so many stories of how vague and difficult CK is, and after struggling to study for step1 i'm worried of what awaits me in the near future. I wouldn't want to screw this up after doing fairly well on step1. I did well on my clinical NBME shelf exams last year, but since that was over a year ago (plus step 1 studying) I feel like I have to relearn many things... again.

Well, this is also the reason why I was hesitant to post this questions :p I don't think horror stories will help me pass it :p
Also, your friend might have felt the same way even if she had taken the exam before the pool changes. Who knows.
In the end of the day, they change it every single year and people pass it somehow.

I could try to take it before the changes but I'm scared 2 months will not be enough to pass it well.
I'd rather have a few weeks more an make sure I get a similar score to Step 1.
Step 1 was a nightmare to me cause I have graduated a while ago and I had to relearn everything :p
With CK it's more about building up our knowledge.
I also heard from many people that CK is nothing as awful as Step 1. It's still tough and draining but you don't have to learn all the basics.

We will see I guess.
I know if I take it mid-August, I will get results on September 6th so if I'm lucky, I will be ECFMG certified on time.
Let's hope for the best :p