CK Study Plan- IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaribbeanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.. Iknow there are several threads with similar topics but I think mine is more geared towards me.
I’m an IMG and in my second to last core rotation planning to begin studying for CK in the next few weeks and was wondering what everyone thinks the best approach would be for me to tackle this beast. During third year I had lots of financial issues and was barely able to study at all during rotations. I somehow managed to pass all of my shelfs with ok scores but it was mainly due knowledge from step 1 (which I score in the mid 220s on).
At this point, I feel like I have no solid foundation for step 2 prep at all and don’t know where to begin.
Everyone says MTB and uworld but I’m wondering if that will be enough for me. I am considering using the new FA when it comes out in addition to MTB. I’ve looked at Step up and it’s way too dense for me.
I also am thinking of watching the online Med Ed videos for each subject and doing my first pass of Uworld on tutor mode by subject while watching the videos. I don’t know whether to use FA or MTB as my primary source though, especially considering I have a weak foundation of the material and would like to annoate my notes from Uworld into one of the books.

Alsoabout how long would you expect me to need to study to get a decent score? I would like to get close to 240 and have about 6 months to study during elective rotations.
If any one has any advice or input on my situation that would be great.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

well kaplan books are awesome for step 2 CK.
also usmle secrets for step 2CK has a lot of good reviews but to be honest you just have to do a lot of qs on uworld.. maybe doing it twice. a lot of IMGs have been failing on CK lately so study a lot and do the NBMEs.
Good luck

I don't think anything could really prep me well for the test. I believe UW was best and review books help some if you need a quick review. I think my combo of Step up 2 Med for IM and MTB3 for Peds, Ob/GYN, and Psy was good enough for the books. It really comes down to being able to make the correct guess out several possibilities that could be right to get a good score. I really do not know how I could have prepped for what I saw.

Thanks for your responses guys, really appreciate it.

I have one other question...if I approach uworld by subject and not random, is there a particular order I should go in? Like go through IM then surgery, etc. or does it not matter too much?

Thanks again for your responses!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an internal medicine resident looking to tutor for Step 2 CK. I can go over the rates/time in detail via email and I can tutor via Skype. If you are interested, send me a message. I did exceptionally well on Step 2 CK and I know what the test is going after. =)

Thanks for your responses guys, really appreciate it.

I have one other question...if I approach uworld by subject and not random, is there a particular order I should go in? Like go through IM then surgery, etc. or does it not matter too much?

Thanks again for your responses!
There is no particular order. You can just go in the order that your review book goes in.
IMGs aren't failing more. People come up with all sorts of random stats. There are lots of neurotic people on this forum, but don't listen to them.

Don't waste your time or money on a tutor, and while the Online MedEd videos are okay for a very basic review, they're really lacking in content.

Use whatever book you're comfortable with (I used MTB for CK) and go through the Qbank. You'll do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an IMG in new jersey... I need a study partner .

I finished step1 last month. I have begun with kaplan for internal medicine and qbank and I plan to give ck by may. I am looking for someone at a similar stage of preparation . I am ok with skype /facebook or face to face.. I can manage 4-5 hours of discussions per week. (Maybe an hour per day)..Feel free to pm me if anyone is interested...

I am also giving cs in march-april period and I would be more than happy to practice that too..