SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

CK study schedule - any advice?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Pinki, May 7, 2007.

1. Pinki

Pinki Sassy Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Anyone care to post their study schedule for CK? Our school held our hand for Step 1 and has pretty much turned us loose to do Step 2 as we please.

I'm planning on 3 1/2 weeks, 6 days a week, 7 hours a day with several coffee / bathroom/ lactation room breaks.

Since taking Step 1, I've learned that I do better with Q & A versus straight up studying (I've done real well on all of my shelves thusfar with this change in technique) so I was planning spending 1-2 hours a day reading FA, the other 4 hours doing USMLE World, carefully reading explanations for all Q's.

Any other suggestions?
    TIA!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. manning18

manning18 Guest 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2004
    I did not follow a specific schedule. That said, I can share my thoughts on what things worked better than others. I used FA as my main text. FA is excellent and covers the majority of the topics. The caveat is that many Step 2 questions are more logic/reasoning based (than memory based), so you'll need to be able to apply what you learn from FA on the test. Deja review is a good supplement. I used Deja to solidify certain topics I could not hammer down after reading FA. I was happy with that. QBank was my main source of questions. I liked QBank more than UW (though this is the minority opinion). I thought QBank questions were better written (lengthier, better grammar, etc) than UW. QB has very good explanations as well.
    This was my plan and it woked fairly well. I thought my test was actually on the easy side (relative to what I expect from NBME), so I was optimistic. I ended up doing OK (205/83), but in the back of my mind I thought I might have scored around the mean (in the 220 range). Good luck!

4. salsterz

salsterz 2+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2006
    I have made a schedule which allows me to revise kaplan books + dvds 3 times and go over uwquestions twice in a span of 1.5 months.

5. Moslem Doctor

Moslem Doctor Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Egypt
    can u share us your schedule plz? i need such one

6. salsterz

salsterz 2+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Watch two topics from Kaplan DVDs(i.e Cardiology and nephroogy), reading the notes from kaplan books. That will take about 7-8 hours...then do 50 UW questions, in a time/tutor mode. This could take another 2-3 hours depending on how fast you can read the explainations.
    For subjects like Peds, Psych, Obgyn and Surgery...allocate 3 days each to watch their videos/read lecture notes and finish their questions.
    This is working fine for me. I get up at 9..go work out, and am out by like 10 for the library. Back home by 9pm..and then hit those questions hard.
    Hope this helps

7. Moslem Doctor

Moslem Doctor Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Egypt
    these Questions u will do every day , it is in same topics u just read from notes or random 50 Questions?

8. salsterz

salsterz 2+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2006
    They were questions from the topic i read that day!