ckent, going to subspecialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

augmel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious since everyone in IM seems to want to but you seem interested in most aspects of IM. I'm personally finding general im to be a lot more interesting than i was expecting.

augmel

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on specializing. I was thinking about either nephrology or pulmonary/critical care. I personally don't like many aspects of primary care, sometimes I just feel like 70% of office visits are wastes of time. A lot of the stuff that people come in complaining of isn't found in text books, and I hate the idea of having to look for 1 in a thousand diseases or risk being sued if someone comes in with vague complaints and I fail to work them up for it. A lot of people enter residency with the plan of specializing and then change their mind mid-residency, and the vice versa also seems to happen as well. I just like the idea of being an expert in one organ system while retaining the knowledge of a general internist.

i think you hit the nail on the head. being an expert in one field but having a very solid base in all of general medicine. those two subspecialties look great to me as well. i'm also interested in ID but i think i'd miss doing procedures. we'll see.

Im desperately trying for a Nephro fellowship, but to no avail. I am doing my residency at a reputed hospital, my MLE scores are pretty good and I have very good reco letters. However I am not getting any interview calls. Do you know what these guys look for in an applicant? I just cant figure out what Im doing wrong.

I know most of them prefer internal candidates and those with research experience.

So as a last resort Ive decided to do research for a year...Any one out there know a good research fellowship with a good chance for getting a nephro clinical fellowship after that?:confused: