Cladistics & Monophyletic groups? anyone seen this on DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 8586

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone see cladistics questions with monophyletic, polyphyletic etc groups come up on the DAT? I never saw it before in KBB or Cliffs but it's come up a few times on Qvault so I don't know if I should learn it? If so, anyone have a good source?

Members don't see this ad.

I've only seen it on qvault and maybe on destroyer, but I feel like there isn't much to learn? The only question they showed were distinguish which organisms have same ancestor according to the graph, isn't it? Or what function they share, so homologous or analogous structure questions.

I've heard that Qvault is harder than the actual DAT exams, so you may not see that type of question on the actual exam; however, just to be safe, I would look up the info in your bio textbook just to clarify. Better to be safe than sorry. You could also trying using wikipedia...

Anyone see cladistics questions with monophyletic, polyphyletic etc groups come up on the DAT? I never saw it before in KBB or Cliffs but it's come up a few times on Qvault so I don't know if I should learn it? If so, anyone have a good source?

I had a few cladistic questions on my DAT exam. It was more along the lines of "Which belongs to the group _____ ?" and it listed a bunch of representative organisms (like flatworms, roundworms, flies, etc). I believe Qvault had a few questions on those. I would recommend brushing up on it using Cliff's.

I had a few cladistic questions on my DAT exam. It was more along the lines of "Which belongs to the group _____ ?" and it listed a bunch of representative organisms (like flatworms, roundworms, flies, etc). I believe Qvault had a few questions on those. I would recommend brushing up on it using Cliff's.

wouldnt those type of questions just be taxonomy...im comfortable with most taxonomy now, but not too sure how to read those cladograms lol

Last edited: