Claiming resident status in VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obwannabe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an out-of-state student at a medical college in Virginia. I was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to claim residency in VA. The fin aid office at my school will not help at all, of course why would they? We pay twice more than the in-state students. They say the only way to do it is if my parents moved here or if I married a Virginian. Neither of which will happen. But there must be a more possible way to do it. I'd really appreciate any legal (or not so legal) advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What I had to do to prove my in state status was fill out the prove your a resident form and give them a copy of my Va voter registration, my VA tax form, Va drivers licence and car registration. From what I understand you need to live in the state of VA for one year and prove it by the above mentioned forms.
ALso, I had an out-of-state classmate who got instate tuition by having her employer sign a form that she got from the fin aid office. (she only got it because she pestered them so much).
I would got to the Va state department of education website or call them directly and get advice from them. I don't hve either info else I would post them.
hope that helps you a little.

I too go to a medical school in Virginia. There are only three, so if you go where I go (EVMS), there is absolutely no way to change your status once you have matriculated. What you come in as is what you must remain, no matter what efforts you may undertake. The others I have no idea about. However, I did switch my residency status as an undergratuate at a school in VA. It required some pretty extensive documentation: having a driver's license, paying taxes, and residing in VA for at least a year. They also wanted me to have been a registered voter in VA and to prove that going to school was not my sole reason for residing in the state. I had to prove independant status from my parents for a minimum of 3 years. All in all, a tough process, but it saved me lots of money and allowed me to apply to med school here as a VA resident. Hope that helps some!

Members don't see this ad :)
cjjtheriotMD I just got an interview offer from EVMS and I am so excited! It's my first choice.
obwannabe, I went to UVA as undergrad, and my out of state friend got in state tuition on her classes. She had already graduated from U of ALabama and was in C'ville b/c of her boyfriend. Anyway, the form I metioned above gets you instate tuition by having your employer vouch for your intentions of living and paying taxes in the state of VA. She worked part time and still go the instate rate. If you go to VCU, maybe they have the same thing. If not then I'm afraid neither of us could help. Good luck.

Thank you so much! I'm gonna try doing all the taxes, voters form, etc. See if it works out. BTW, I'm not at EVMS, so maybe I have a chance.

Another thing that it I didn't really see mentioned above was the emancipation thing. I looked into getting in state status in FL and they said that I had to totally emancipate myself from my parents. That basically means that they can no longer claim you on their taxes, and that you cant be on their insurance wans stuff. I ended up not doing it because the out of state was a better deal, but this is also undergrad...I'm sure it would help for med school. Besides that you wold have to register you car in , live in, work in, pay taxes in, get a driver's license in, and sign your first born child over to the desired state of residence(Just kidding on that last one). :D