Claims Based Slot policy. (do i need tail?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I understood the difference between a claims based and a occurrence based malpractice policy.

A group that I will be doing some PRN shifts with are placing me on there claims based slot policy. When I asked the medical director if I need tail, he said no "it is a claims based slot policy."
the limits are 500K and 1.5 million.

I do not know much about the group. I simply like the hospital, and was given the medical director's name through another physician. So while I don't distrust him, I also don't know him well enough to take him at his word.

Is this type of policy something I should be cautious about? I will only be doing 4 to 8 shifts max before I leave for a different state.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what I was able to find on Teh Googelz, this should be fine for you. It's basically a part-time claims-based policy so they have to pay less for you than if you were working for them full-time.

but that would mean I would have to buy my own tail? when I leave.. or trust the hospitalist group to keep the policy current indefinitely.. ?

Members don't see this ad :)
claim based policies usually need tail coverage...i'd check with someone (meaning someone that sells med mal insurance) about whether you need tail.