Claims Made or Occurrence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

passant.holdout.0v

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Full time 1099 position. I need to buy my own malpractice insurance. I was wondering if I should go with Claims Made of Occurrence based on these quotes.

Claims Made (Doctors Direct)
Year 1: $4000
Year 2: $9000
Year 3: $14000
Year 4: $17000
Year 5 and beyond: $19000
Tail: Approximately 200% of the year's premium.

Occurrence: $36000

Thanks!
 
Full time 1099 position. I need to buy my own malpractice insurance. I was wondering if I should go with Claims Made of Occurrence based on these quotes.

Claims Made (Doctors Direct)
Year 1: $4000
Year 2: $9000
Year 3: $14000
Year 4: $17000
Year 5 and beyond: $19000
Tail: Approximately 200% of the year's premium.

Occurrence: $36000

Thanks!


$36k/yr for occurrence vs $4-19k/yr+a single tail payment for claims made. Seems like a no brainer. All the numbers seem high but I guess that is state dependent.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's some quick "running the numbers" (which you should have been able to do. Pretty sure my 4th-grader could have done this). This is if you quit the job after X number of years comparing the total cost of each option, assuming no policy or premium changes from what you've described.

Years

Claims Made+Tail total cost (thousands)

Occurrence Total Cost (thousands)
112 (4 + 4*2)36
231 (4 + 9 + 9*2)72
355108
478144
5101180
6120216
7139252
8158288
9177324