Clarification of "non-academic?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swtiepie711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but one of my secondary q's asks about participation in a non-academic activity - I feel like this includes anything other than coursework, but others think this implies "non-educational" experiences (like no research, etc.). Does this include shadowing? Other activities of mine include volunteering (asked about elsewhere), jobs (asked about elsewhere), and sorority during college [did disclose on AMCAS, am proud of, but not sure if I want to write about it here...]
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You're being given a chance to show that your life does not revolve around getting into med school (ie would step on your fallen grandmother to get that O-Chem A). Use this part to tell about some of the cool things you do that have nothing to do with medicine or school. To this day I am convinced that fishing is what got me accepted to my school!

Tori's dad said:
You're being given a chance to show that your life does not revolve around getting into med school (ie would step on your fallen grandmother to get that O-Chem A). Use this part to tell about some of the cool things you do that have nothing to do with medicine or school. To this day I am convinced that fishing is what got me accepted to my school!

Members don't see this ad :)
swtiepie711 said:
This may be a stupid question, but one of my secondary q's asks about participation in a non-academic activity - I feel like this includes anything other than coursework, but others think this implies "non-educational" experiences (like no research, etc.). Does this include shadowing? Other activities of mine include volunteering (asked about elsewhere), jobs (asked about elsewhere), and sorority during college [did disclose on AMCAS, am proud of, but not sure if I want to write about it here...]
Thoughts?

I would concur that you should write about something unrelated to medicine. Adcoms want to see you're a well-rounded person.

Well, for example, UCLA doesn't specify so I would go with what the above answers say. However, University of Michigan classifies non-academic as "(such as research, clinical experiences, community service, employment)" so I would not necessarily discount things that have to do with medicine or school as academic.