Air Force Clarification on GMO and time commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marinehrnt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard some conflicting info regrading if a two year gmo tour takes time off your commitment or if its "free time" in a way. Let's say I didn't match in my desired specialty, did an intern year followed by a 2 year gmo tour and followed that with a 3 year residency. I would owe 2 years active duty after residency? Just want to make sure this is correct, its tough to find concrete answers on this stuff sometimes. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

the length of time you owe leaving residency is either the length of time you owed going in, or the length of the residency, whichever is more.

So if you finished a two year GMO and then finished the last two years of an FP residency you would owe two years.

If you finished a one year GMO and then did the last 2 years of an FP residency you would owe 3 years

If you did a 3 year GMO and then did the last 6 years of a neurosurgery residency you would owe six years.

Of course if you serve out your 4 year obligation as a GMO you are done.

the length of time you owe leaving residency is either the length of time you owed going in, or the length of the residency, whichever is more.

So if you finished a two year GMO and then finished the last two years of an FP residency you would owe two years.

If you finished a one year GMO and then did the last 2 years of an FP residency you would owe 3 years

If you did a 3 year GMO and then did the last 6 years of a neurosurgery residency you would owe six years.

Of course if you serve out your 4 year obligation as a GMO you are done.

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful. So if you do an internship that is not accepted by your residency after your GMO tour you would still owe the length of the residency? If I did a surgery intern year followed by a GMO tour and than emergency medicine residency for three years I would owe three years since I repeated my intern year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, it was very helpful. So if you do an internship that is not accepted by your residency after your GMO tour you would still owe the length of the residency? If I did a surgery intern year followed by a GMO tour and than emergency medicine residency for three years I would owe three years since I repeated my intern year?

You know, I'm not sure. I was always told an Intern year is obligation neutral, but I don't know if your second Intern year works the same as your first.

BTW Military EM is either a transition or an EM internship followed by a three year residency for four years total. They might take other kinds of Intern year as well, again I'm not sure.

I have heard some conflicting info regrading if a two year gmo tour takes time off your commitment or if its "free time" in a way. Let's say I didn't match in my desired specialty, did an intern year followed by a 2 year gmo tour and followed that with a 3 year residency. I would owe 2 years active duty after residency? Just want to make sure this is correct, its tough to find concrete answers on this stuff sometimes. Thanks for the help.

The only way it won't be "free time" is if you do a one year GMO and then a three year residency.