Clarification on Montelukast (Singulair)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nextyearrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Confused about the administration of chewable tablets montelukast.
Here is what I think. Chewable tablet: Chew or crush well. Mix crushed tablet with food. Should not be swallowed whole.

Also, the indication based on age is confusing. I heard it is NOT indicated for patients younger than 2 Years old. Some doctors still prescribe it. And on the manufacturer's bottle it says: 6 months or older (Don't remember what was the dosage form though) May be it was Granules :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Here is what I think. Chewable tablet: Chew or crush well. Mix crushed tablet with food. Should not be swallowed whole.

Also, the indication based on age is confusing. I heard it is NOT indicated for patients younger than 2 Years old. Some doctors still prescribe it. And on the manufacturer's bottle it says: 6 months or older (Don't remember what was the dosage form though) May be it was Granules :oops:

Administration is the same as anything you chew. Smash it with your teeth and swallow once rendered to small particles.

I swallowed a chewable tablet once. I woke up in another dimension. George Washington XVI was the current King of North America and the Nazi party was a collective that designed iconic womens' shoes back in the 1940s.

It was the damnedest thing. I had to swallow a Tylenol suppository to get back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I swallowed a chewable tablet once. I woke up in another dimension. George Washington XVI was the current King of North America and the Nazi party was a collective that designed iconic womens' shoes back in the 1940s.

:smuggrin:

Chewable tablets are usually bigger, so it's harder to swallow them, but it's generally not harmful in any way--the tablets will dissolve in the same way as any other tablet in the stomach. The exception would be if the tablet needed to be absorbed bucally or sublingually--but these usually dissolve and aren't chewed. I guess Nicorette gum would be an example of a chew to absorb bucally, but Nicorette gum shouldn't be swallowed anyway.

For liability, you aren't going to find any chewable tablet that says its OK to use in someone younger than 2 or 3 (because of the choking hazard risk.) That doesn't mean that the medication itself can't be used in a younger child, or perhaps the doctor prescribing has determined that the individual child (under supervision!) would be reasonably safe with a chewable tablet.

Last edited:

Hopefully you swallowed the suppository with the wrapper on