Clarification Question on Adcom/Interviewer situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgibutterfly

Reaction score
So I'm a bit confused about this whole app process and I would highly appreciate any input from you all!

Why are not the interviewers the ones ultimately deciding on your acceptance/rejection? Why do schools have an admissions committee for this? It seems like most times interviewers are not on the committee.
Also, how does one find out who is on the committee?

Sorry if these questions seem kinda basic but we were just sitting here wondering about this so I thought I'll post here.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewers do help decide whether you get accepted or not. The entire adcom meets and discusses who to accept because the interview is only one part of your app.

It doesn’t matter who is actually on the committee. What exactly would you do with that information?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@sb247 there isn't much you can do with that information, we were just trying to figure out how this process works. Thanks @AnatomyGrey12 that actually makes so much sense if you look at the interview as internal input, another eval in addition to the file.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @AnatomyGrey12 ,and would like to add it is probably THE most important evaluation in your file. Occasionally, I see a candidate I did not endorse show up on orientation day, but it is rare. I can count on one hand how many times it has happened over the last 10 years.

Reactions: 2 users
So I'm a bit confused about this whole app process and I would highly appreciate any input from you all!

Why are not the interviewers the ones ultimately deciding on your acceptance/rejection? Why do schools have an admissions committee for this? It seems like most times interviewers are not on the committee.
Also, how does one find out who is on the committee?

Sorry if these questions seem kinda basic but we were just sitting here wondering about this so I thought I'll post here.
Depending upon the school, interviewers are part of the Adcom (like mine). The entire committee votes to accept, waitlist, or reject.

It's highly unlikely that you will find out who is on the Adcom, and this info won't help you anyway.

I know some schools that actually publish this information, but it won’t help you.

I would imagine every school has a different protocol for how they do it. I also believe that traditionally they don't invite you unless they see you academically strong enough to be part of the school.