clarify verbal scores plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cotinara

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
could someone please clarify the grading scale for verbal scores...i don't get it, what the letters represent to high to low, good/bad. It would help thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

cotinara said:
could someone please clarify the grading scale for verbal scores...i don't get it, what the letters represent to high to low, good/bad. It would help thanks.

Verbal is scored from 1 to 15, just like Physical and Biological science. I think you are refering to the writing sample. Writing is scored from J - T, with J being the lowest and T being the highest.
The way writing works is that you have two samples to write. Each are worth 1 - 6 points. Your point scores are added for the two samples, ans you are assigned a letter score - J=2, K=3, L=4...S=11, T=12. J, K, and L are considered bad scores; M, N, O, P, and Q are considered average scores, and R, S, and T are considered superb. Hope this helps.

By the way - the scores are assigned a letter to make the scores a bit more difficult to decipher. AAMC wants writing scores to sound somewhat arbitrary, and as long as you dont score a J, K, or L, then your writing score will not matter at all. However, a school may pause to think about the low scores. But if English is a second language, then I've heard that low writing scores can be excused.

thanks, ya i meant the writing section...do topics vary all across the board or do they ask you medical based questions to write about?

Oh english is my first language, but if you heard me you wouldn't think that, my friends always make fun of me for sounding words weird and whatnot.

cotinara said:
thanks, ya i meant the writing section...do topics vary all across the board or do they ask you medical based questions to write about?

Oh english is my first language, but if you heard me you wouldn't think that, my friends always make fun of me for sounding words weird and whatnot.
From my experience they are not at all medically based. They give you a statement, and you always have the same 3 tasks to perform: 1) explain what the statement means. 2) give an example of a situation where the opposite is true. 3) explain what determines when 1 or 2 is the appropriate conculsion.

An example: In business, competition is superior to cooperation.

Explain what this statement means to you. Describe a situation where cooperation is superior to competition. Explain what you think determines when competition is superior to cooperation.

Hope that helps!