Class Help!

Started by Sana101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sana101

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I'm taking my first semester pre-reqs at ku. i took college algebra, chem I with lab, comp 1 and 2 in high school. the dean really stressed that anyone who already took chem I in high school should still repeat it there.

I got an A in chem I so i didnt want to take it. Do you think i should so ill be more prepared for the pcat or something.

These are the classes im taking this semester

bio w/ lab
calc I
linguistics
physics

Thank you and any advice will be VERY appreciated!
 
If you're only going to be taking pre-requisites, I would definitely take a full Chemistry series "designed for science majors." This is a very common statement in most admissions/pre-requisite pages for CoPs.
 
I suggest you take it as well. If you apply to other schools, they will not accept a high school class for a pre-req. The chem I took in high school and the chem I took in college were very different. There is a lot more material in college chem that you will need later.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been told by every college I've talked with that they suggest even AP students re-take college chemistry. High School chemistry is a very generalized chemistry curriculum to where college chemistry is a little more rigorous. In addition, a majority of the colleges that I've seen offer a different curriculum of chemistry entirely on the pre-pharmacy degree path. I've seen "College Chemistry for Science Majors" on several.
 
I agree with the others and think you should take it. At the very least, the extra practice will help you get a higher score on the PCAT.
 
When you said you took these courses in high school, did you take them AT a college, or did you take a college-like class offered at your high school? The difference is critical. If your high school college classes will show up the same way as your college classes on a transcript, then only re-take anything you forgot. You ought to get enough review from Chem II and O Chem to reinforce anything you lost from the original Chem class. But if your classes were high school classes (AP, IB, anything like that) that taught the same material as a college class, you MUST retake them. Pharmacy schools generally do not take high school classes as prerequisites. It's not a question of PCAT preparation.
 
yeah it was a college like class, i already had picked my classes so i wont be able 2 enroll for chem till august so i really hope they still have classes open, but I definitely want to take it if i'll get more out of it this time. Thanks for the heads up guys, i def. needed it 🙂
 
I agree with everyone else who has said to retake it at KU. It will come in handy on the chemistry section of the PCAT. I taught high school chemistry for 10 years and I had to take/retake chem II, org I, and org II within the last 10 months. My recommendation to anyone planning on applying to pharmacy school is to take chemistry and AP chem/chem II in high school to be much better prepared for chem I and chem II at the collegiate level. I can personally attest that what is covered in high school is usually only an introduction to what will be seen in either chem I or chem II at the collegiate level. Having a really strong background in chemistry will only make you a stronger candidate.

KU School of Pharmacy c/o 2013