Class/Lab Seperate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorGirl87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was just wondering what you all think about taking the lab for a class a semester or two after the lecture. I go to UF, but I am taking physics 2 at a community college back home this summer. The lab is not being offered at that campus due to construction. The lab is being held an hour away and I really can't drive all the way out there two times a week. Plus, I will be saving some money by just waiting to take it at UF where my scholarship is honored. Has anyone else done this? As of now, there are no open seats for the lab in the fall, which means I might have to wait until the spring. Anyhow, do you think it will be looked upon poorly if I take this lab 1-2 semesters after the lecture? I assumed that as long as I do well in both, it shouldn't really matter. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I did it. I took the organic lab 2 years after organic! I didn't have a problem doing that.

You should be fine doing that. The only thing is I find I forget some of the relevant lab info after awhile, like formulas, concepts, etc. Just keep your notes from the class and you should be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Though there are some schools that frown of breaking up the combo (ex: my school preferred that one take the labs along with the courses even though they were separate courses), it's quite possible and doable to go out of sequence. You just have to consider rustiness as mentioned before.

As long as you can brush up on the material and do well, I doubt it would matter much. Hell, I'm going to be taking my third quarter of OChem lab this summer, 3 years after I took the lecture and the first parts of lab. The only thing I would be worried about in your case is that you're planning to take the lab and lecture at different schools. I've never known anyone to split up a series that way, so you might want to check to make sure UF will allow you to substitute the lecture for the CC class and still allow you to take the lab there.