Class of 2008 Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dimps2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT twice, and applied to school for the Class of 2007, but my score was not good enough to receive secondary applications. I took the Kaplan course, and retook the MCAt. This time my score improved. Now I have received secondary applications, and have an interview scheduled for the end of February. I am a little scared about the interview because I am not sure what to expect, plus I am not sure whether I will be able to answer all of the questions. I will gladly welcome any suggestions or pointers.

Members don't see this ad.

You should check out SDN interview feedback for the particular school at which you are gonna interview.

Remember to know the basics as well, these are seemingly easy questions that can trip people up cuz it is hard to put in concise words...

-Tell me about yourself?
-your family?
-your interest in medicine?
-why should we pick YOU over our other applicants (a chance to sell yourself!)
-what do you think / know about our school's program?
-latest book read?
-thoughts on <<ethical / political / current events -- both non medical and medical >> issues
-what do you do for fun?
-your notable medical / clinical exposure?
-be able to discuss any flaws in app

That is just a thumbnail sketch of what you could be asked.

good luck!

My Pre-Med advisor had a great book in her office. I think it was called something like "Essays that will get you into medical school." The book as 2 chapters on interviews. It tells you how to prepare and what to expect. Also, does your university have some kind of career center? Some of them will do mock interviews. If not, ask a friend who is mature and familiar with the med application process and have him/her do a mock interview. From my personal experience, my interviews were very conversational. They all started off by asking me specific questions from my essays or from my application. They then just kept asking questions that seem to naturally come up from my previous answer. There were very few "planned questions." If you get that book, you'll see what I mean by "planned questions." Some examples are:
1. What are your strengths/weaknesses?
2. Why med school?/Why medicine?
3. Do you know what you're getting into?
4. What are you passionate about?
5. What are your hobbies besides academics?
6. Tell me about yourself.

Aslo, be up on current events. Know about the new medicare bill and the obesity epidemic, for example. No one has ever asked me anything really specific so I think they just want to know that you are aware and have thought about these issues.

Best of Luck and I hope it goes well! Most of all, don't be nervous cause I think most doctors are really nice. They just want to get to know you. It's not supposed to be a cut-throat experience.

:)

I tried to post this before but somehow it didn't work.

I forgot one more thing. Be sure you have a good reason for wanting to attend the particular med school. They will definitely ask. Research the school ahead of time and find things about it that you genuinely like and understand why you and the school make a good fit.