Class of 2018: How's School So far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brooklynyc

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't been on this forum since the admissions process. Life has been pretty busy. And by life I mean school.

How's second year life treating everyone? Any classes you particularly enjoy?

I'm loving school so far and loving most everything I learn, even some of the ones that some people feel are time wasters. There are definitely parts of my experience that I wish were better but I make the best of it and tell myself that every program will always have something that people can find wanting. Luckily, my classmates are awesome. We are a class of 19 and it's been a great experience with all of them so far.

I'm doing well in classes but my social life has taken a huge hit. I have some classmates that can manage both but I can't. The way I study requires lots of time.

Summer 15 - Gross anatomy was my favorite class. I wish I retained more of it though.

Fall 15 - Physio rocked! Super fascinating. Again, wish I retained more of it . . . I feel like information always slips out of brain.

Spring 16 - PT Exam 2 is the class where we learn how to take a history. All about taking a good history and finally the class thats teaching us how to think like clinicians. Getting into the nitty gritty. Loved it.

Summer 16 - Motor control is surprisingly fascinating so far. Cardiopulm is also a great class.
 
Glad to hear things are going great!

All is well for me as well. There was definitely an adjustment period, but now I feel very used to the demands of the program. Honestly, I have never been happier with school in my life; I absolutely love my program. Other students in the program are great and the faculty treat us incredibly well. I am very comfortable here.

Unfortunately, my social life has taken a major hit as well. While I am lucky to have some very close friends in the class, balancing other relationships can be difficult. Some other friends who are no longer in school (i.e. are working real jobs in real cities already) can't really understand what my life is like right now, as far as how busy I am. Dating is difficult to manage. It can be lonely. That being said, I also make time for men's league hockey on the weekends and train pretty heavily for distance running so it is a choice, to an extent.

But, overall I am incredibly happy. This whole thing is worthwhile.

Anatomy and Kinesiology I and II were my favorite classes. I wasn't a huge neuroscience fan, but have loved our applied adult neuro disorders class this summer. I plan on becoming a CSCS this year, and getting a USATF Coaching certification some time before I graduate. I think my career goal is to work in a clinic or open a clinic that is a hybrid PT clinic and fitness center. Who knows, though. A lot can change.

We have two more weeks of class, and then we have most of August off and then Clinic I. I will be doing an outpatient ortho rotation and am very excited.
 
Getting ready to start in August. Super jealous of you all right now. Had the year off due to no acceptances last time so just been working. So very eager to get started with my program. The small class size is going to be amazing coming from a state university (huge).
 
My first year was great! At our school our classes are focused around our upcoming clinical rotations, so most of first year is focused on acute/inpatient rehab. I'm 4 weeks into my first clinical rotation now and am loving it! I got super lucky and my CI does 1/2 SNF and 1/2 outpatient so I'm seeing an incredible variety. Since I'm in a rural area, we see neuro, peds, etc. in outpatient as well as normal ortho. My CI is teaching me all the special tests that I will be learning this upcoming year so I feel like I have a real head-start! My favorite classes so far have been anatomy and all the Patient Care Skills classes. This fall we also start our research project which should be interesting!