Class of 2018 Match compilation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DelayedGratification

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can those following the match report back when DO schools have posted information regarding the match? I am a little bit worried with the initial reports of worse match rates this year at osteopathic schools. The SOAP thread had 2 US DO grads that posted their respective schools fared worse in the match than usual.

Members don't see this ad.

The match rate for DOs in the NRMP match this year was 81.7%. The exact same percentage as last year.

Also this thread is a tad early as is takes a while for schools to put together the info.

Can those following the match report back when DO schools have posted information regarding the match? I am a little bit worried with the initial reports of worse match rates this year at osteopathic schools. The SOAP thread had 2 US DO grads that posted their respective schools fared worse in the match than usual.

The match rate for DOs in the NRMP match this year was 81.7%. The exact same percentage as last year.

Also this thread is a tad early as is takes a while for schools to put together the info.
upload_2018-3-16_13-9-54.png

Same match rate with 1,027 more Osteopathic applicants.

Certainly was hoping to see the % go up as programs migrate to ACGME, but it could be worse. What's more interesting are the year over year trends. T-365 days until next year. If this stayed the same by the time the merger is over that would be a terrible thing. 1 in 5 Osteopathic med students going unmatched should be considered unacceptable, in my view.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think i need to see the breakdown of specialities...

And if 846 students went unmatched, is it safe to say they're **** out of luck? The AOA matchers are probably in the withdrew section of that list

View attachment 230533
Same match rate with 1,027 more Osteopathic applicants.

Certainly was hoping to see the % go up as programs migrate to ACGME, but it could be worse. What's more interesting are the year over year trends. T-365 days until next year. If this stayed the same by the time the merger is over that would be a terrible thing. 1 in 5 Osteopathic med students going unmatched should be considered unacceptable, in my view.

Eh remember it isn’t a true 1/5 with the AOA match. Honestly 82% isn’t that bad considering the huge increase in applicants and the fact that the MD match rate isn’t terribly far above that. Could most definitely get better, but as it currently stands it could have been a looooot worse.

Reactions: 2 users
While I'm happy to see the match rates didn't change much, the fact that the number of DOs applying has nearly doubled in 4 years is frightening. DO and MD need to tighten up on these expansions. I don't even believe we have a physician shortage in this country so much as a distribution issue, and I wish newer programs would instead just be 3-year degrees that feed into (rural) PC.

The match rate went up for US-IMG also...what happened to them getting squeezed out?

Eh remember it isn’t a true 1/5 with the AOA match. Honestly 82% isn’t that bad considering the huge increase in applicants and the fact that the MD match rate isn’t terribly far above that. Could most definitely get better, but as it currently stands it could have been a looooot worse.
Oh yeah I am aware of the AOA match. I wasn't clear enough that in my view, post-merger, 82% would be unacceptable. That's nearly 2,000 students using 4 years of life to go unmatched. MD match rate of 94-95% is so much more reassuring. 82% leaves room for me to wonder "if I do everything right, there still might be a chance I go unmatched".

Reactions: 1 user
While I'm happy to see the match rates didn't change much, the fact that the number of DOs applying has nearly doubled in 4 years is frightening. DO and MD need to tighten up on these expansions. I don't even believe we have a physician shortage in this country so much as a distribution issue, and I wish newer programs would instead just be 3-year degrees that feed into (rural) PC.

While I agree with the rest of your statement, I would like to point out the reason the DO applicants doubled is probably because the students are trying to get in ACGME before the merger. There surely would not have been such a drastic increase had the merger not existed.

While I agree with the rest of your statement, I would like to point out the reason the DO applicants doubled is probably because the students are trying to get in ACGME before the merger. There surely would not have been such a drastic increase had the merger not existed.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought that I hadn't considered, but it makes sense. My fear and outrage is slightly less :)