BOTH Class of 2018 Study Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortnakas

DO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of us loved our study thread for Step 1, so why not recreate it for Step 2?

I know we won't be thinking hardcore about USMLE/COMLEX until next spring/summer, but figured we could use this for strategizing now, and for shelf exams too.

Paging: @W19 @gobigorgohome22 @Entadus @Ibn Alnafis MD @AlgernonMed @TheShaker @Mad Jack @NontradCA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Thank you @ortnakas for starting this thread.

Studying for step2/shelves has been much trickier than I had anticipated. The material is all over the place and it's much more difficult to anticipate/prepare for topics than it was for step1. Also, the material is much less intuitive. In pre-clinical years, your courses taught you, or at least touched upon, ~90% of the material tested on step1. This is not the case for rotations and step2 material; you'd be lucky to have a rotation that exposes you to 50% of the "high yield" topics of step2.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of us loved our study thread for Step 1, so why not recreate it for Step 2?

I know we won't be thinking hardcore about USMLE/COMLEX until next spring/summer, but figured we could use this for strategizing now, and for shelf exams too.

Paging: @W19 @gobigorgohome22 @Entadus @Ibn Alnafis MD @AlgernonMed @TheShaker @Mad Jack @NontradCA

What have you all heard is the best strategy for Step 2? Right now I'm just planning on doing UWorld, but I wasn't sure if there was an equivalent UFAP for Step 2...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not really focused on Step 2 right now; I'm purely in shelf-mode. I have my 3rd shelf exam of third year in a little over a week. Trying to get the clinical grades!

I will happily follow this thread going forward. Good luck with M3 everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Entadus I think we're all in shelf mode! Since supposedly shelf studying will end up doubling as Step 2 studying, I figured this thread could do double duty too.

@AlgernonMed NO ONE KNOWS. I feel like there's so much guidance for Step 1 and then crickets for Step 2. Supposedly "studying for the shelf is studying for step 2" so hoping that's true. I've heard Master the Boards is a good book if you want something comprehensive for boards. I bought it on sale on Amazon but haven't read it much.

Thank you @ortnakas for starting this thread.

Studying for step2/shelves has been much trickier than I had anticipated. The material is all over the place and it's much more difficult to anticipate/prepare for topics than it was for step1.

Same. Sometimes the shelves are just so much more broad than what you actually see on a four week rotation, even if you were to have a super awesome rotation. I'm studying for the surgery shelf right now, and the gazillion lap choles I assisted with aren't helping me at all with cardiothoracic questions! I'm a huge fan of OnlineMedEd for filling in the gaps so far (used it for my family med shelf with good success, hoping to replicate it for the surgery shelf.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I already finished my internal med rotation, for which I used all the 500+ MKSAP questions (IM Essentials) and only did around 200-300 UWorld questions. Scraped by with the lowest possible grade for Honors, phew. But I still have well over a 1000 step2 UWorld medicine questions left unused, so I was going to start there for Step2CK prep. Apart from that, Thankfully I'll be pretty fresh off Family and Peds so I would mainly be looking for ways to review OB, surgery, and psychiatry. Will probably re-do the Uworld questions for those subjects since I'm using UWorld consistently for shelf prep.

Thinking I'll use: FA for the psychiatry clerkship, Pestana's surgery notes, and not sure about OB-GYN/family

I want to take Step2 pretty early and get it out of the way. M4 will be stressful enough with applying to residency and all, I'd rather not have board exams looming over my head the whole time!

Reactions: 2 users
I already finished my internal med rotation, for which I used all the 500+ MKSAP questions (IM Essentials) and only did around 200-300 UWorld questions. Scraped by with the lowest possible grade for Honors, phew. But I still have well over a 1000 step2 UWorld medicine questions left unused, so I was going to start there for Step2CK prep. Apart from that, Thankfully I'll be pretty fresh off Family and Peds so I would mainly be looking for ways to review OB, surgery, and psychiatry. Will probably re-do the Uworld questions for those subjects since I'm using UWorld consistently for shelf prep.

Thinking I'll use: FA for the psychiatry clerkship, Pestana's surgery notes, and not sure about OB-GYN/family

I want to take Step2 pretty early and get it out of the way. M4 will be stressful enough with applying to residency and all, I'd rather not have board exams looming over my head the whole time!
How early? Planning to take it in October.

How early? Planning to take it in October.

I'm planning on taking it near the end of June, before any aways. The only problem is that means the bulk (nearly all) of my studying will need to happen during rotations this spring.

Planning on taking mine during first week of September. Reason is that I have a month off during August, so I could use it towards studying.

I know this may not look great on my app, but it will definitely look better than a 20 points drop from step1

Planning on taking mine during first week of September. Reason is that I have a month off during August, so I could use it towards studying.

I know this may not look great on my app, but it will definitely look better than a 20 points drop from step1
You should definitely take it late and let your step1 score do the convincing....

I can't figure out the best timing for me, either.
-- I have May 29-June 23 off for "clinical competency development."
--I take the COMLEX PE on May 31.

Assuming I'll be fried June 1, and might as well have a fun tourist day in Chicago if I have to go there anyway-- is June 1-22 enough time to study hardcore for Step 2 CK and Level 2 CE? (Obviously assuming I study well for the shelves all year.) My four-week block after that is an audition elective, so I don't want to bank on studying a lot during that time. After that I have two blocks of mandatory-but-chill blocks, so I could theoretically study after clinic then. I have to take COMLEX 2 by September 1st. There's no deadline for taking USMLE 2, but I assume it makes sense to take them close together. This is of course assuming it's a good idea for me to take USMLE 2.

Hive-mind, help!

I can't figure out the best timing for me, either.
-- I have May 29-June 23 off for "clinical competency development."
--I take the COMLEX PE on May 31.

Assuming I'll be fried June 1, and might as well have a fun tourist day in Chicago if I have to go there anyway-- is June 1-22 enough time to study hardcore for Step 2 CK and Level 2 CE? (Obviously assuming I study well for the shelves all year.) My four-week block after that is an audition elective, so I don't want to bank on studying a lot during that time. After that I have two blocks of mandatory-but-chill blocks, so I could theoretically study after clinic then. I have to take COMLEX 2 by September 1st. There's no deadline for taking USMLE 2, but I assume it makes sense to take them close together. This is of course assuming it's a good idea for me to take USMLE 2.

Hive-mind, help!
Yeah. If you use this time to practice and hone your boards skills, it should be plenty of time. However, if you use it to learn new material (aka didn't prepare all year long and just waited for the dedicated time to study), then I don't think it'll be enough.

by doing 4 blocks of UW daily (actually re-doing because i'm assuming you're doing UW now for your shelves), you can finish the entire Qbank in 15 days. Add in another 4 days for NBMEs and UWSA, this would still leave you ~3 days of break from studying that you can use to avoid burnout.

I'm planning on taking it near the end of June, before any aways. The only problem is that means the bulk (nearly all) of my studying will need to happen during rotations this spring.

Same, my step 1 sucked so I need step 2 to help me out for applications. Idk how I can increase a score of 213 -> 240s since its possible, but historically people only do 10-20 points better on Step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, my step 1 sucked so I need step 2 to help me out for applications. Idk how I can increase a score of 213 -> 240s since its possible, but historically people only do 10-20 points better on Step 2.
Don't let your step 1 score hold you back. I think it's good to have a goal in mind, but if you tell yourself over and over again that the highest you'll get is a 230, you'll probably end up studying less than your best. Six months is a lot of time to prepare and smash this thing.

Don't let your step 1 score hold you back. I think it's good to have a goal in mind, but if you tell yourself over and over again that the highest you'll get is a 230, you'll probably end up studying less than your best. Six months is a lot of time to prepare and smash this thing.

Thanks m8, yeah I got over the sadness/depression thing over the summer so been in kicking Shelf butt mode, but idk how to study for Step 2. I want to do UWorld twice, but idk which book is good to follow. I've heard First Aid isn't so bad.

I was told 'Master the Boards' along with Uworld is a good combo for step2... Have you guys/gals heard good reviews about other resources that are out there?

I'm using MTB, Step 2 Secrets, and UW.

I'm almost done with UW, though, so I've been burning through some Kaplan IM questions.

I love Pretest for my shelves. I admittedly don't really go hard on uworld for the shelves because sometimes the questions just aren't shelf style. Step and shelf questions are pretty different. Also, if I do all the uworld questions during the year I will have less to keep me busy during my study period for step 2. I don't personally get as much out of questions the second time around.
Everyone says that all the resources are pretty much the same- you just have to commit to one. No matter what, you will be annotating whatever you use. Don't try to use too many. I despised opening step up to medicine during IM and probably will not use it. The outline style looks like Goljan, very wordy. Step up to step 2 is a little better inside, less wordy, more charty and covers more subjects.
I like FA step 2, actually! Lots of nice charts and more detail than step ups. I have to confess, though, that I really loved my annotated first aid for step 1 and I am constantly looking back at it. The two books definitely have different info!
My bf likes MTB, but this is definitely more of a review resource and isn't that detailed. He says that one of the best things about it is that it has all sorts of little trick question hints that show up on steps.
This might sound weird, but when I do world questions and can't figure out where I want to annotate the factoids, I put it in the Holliday shelf notes. According to her lecture she made them for herself for step 2, and adding stuff to those and then being able to search what I added has been convenient.

My goal is to take the last 2 weeks in June off
and take CK before July 4... but we will see if that pans out. Unfortunately, I'm the sucker that has surgery as my last rotation, so I am not anticipating getting much studying done before then for step specifically. I don't want my score to go down, so the pressure is on to study as long as needed to maintain the number. I only took 6 weeks for step 1, but that was coming out of preclinicals where I was studying all the time...

What order are y'all taking CK & CS? Has anyone heard if it helps to take one first?

Last edited:
I literally just said I'm using Kaplan questions lol.

So far, I think they have been pretty good. I've only done the IM questions, but there is literally no negative to doing more questions from a reputable company (if it doesn't take away from UW time, that is).

Anyone had the IM shelf yet? Any tips?

Even more specifically-- any of you do Case Files for IM? I did that one for FM and liked it, but I know Step Up is the gold standard for IM. I own it and I'm going to try to get through it, but Case Files would fit in my pocket for reading during wards down time. Not sure if it's worth the extra $35 though.

Will happily trade for tips on the psych shelf or the FM shelf. And the surgery shelf, crossing my fingers I passed it.

I'll post what I used when I was going through this last year. Just study hard for the shelf exams and that doubles for CK.

OnlineMedEd videos and UWorld tutor mode for each rotation and for

IM: Step up to Medicine and MKSAP 5
FM: Case Files, Ambulatory medicine chapter of SUTM, UVa online FM clerkship questions, and free AAFP board review questions
Peds: Case Files and Pre Test
Psych: First Aid for the Psych Clerkship
OBGYN: Case Files and APGO uWISE questions
Neuro: Blueprints and SUTM
Surgery: Pestana's and Surgical recall

Studied for CK for 4 weeks and took it at the end of July. Skimmed SUTM and FA for Psych. Redid UWorld in tutor mode and used FA Step 1 to review primary immunodeficiencies and biostats. Didn't use FA for CK or MTB.

Got >260

I'll post what I used when I was going through this last year. Just study hard for the shelf exams and that doubles for CK.

OnlineMedEd videos and UWorld tutor mode for each rotation and for

IM: Step up to Medicine and MKSAP 5
FM: Case Files, Ambulatory medicine chapter of SUTM, UVa online FM clerkship questions, and free AAFP board review questions
Peds: Case Files and Pre Test
Psych: First Aid for the Psych Clerkship
OBGYN: Case Files and APGO uWISE questions
Neuro: Blueprints and SUTM
Surgery: Pestana's and Surgical recall

Studied for CK for 4 weeks and took it at the end of July. Skimmed SUTM and FA for Psych. Redid UWorld in tutor mode and used FA Step 1 to review primary immunodeficiencies and biostats. Didn't use FA for CK or MTB.

Got >260

I would echo the same advice on all fronts. Especially the advice about reviewing FA step 1, that definitely netted me a few points! Personally, I reviewed some sections which I thought may have a few random questions here and there (genetic issues like achondroplasia, ALL immunodeficiencies- yes, even the obscure ones). Without a doubt, you do NOT need SUTM or MTB or FA for CK in order to do well on this test assuming you haven't been sandbagging the last year. I will say that I used FA for CK as a means to consolidate my notes/uworld, but the material in itself (that wasn't also in uworld) I didn't find to net me any additional points on test day. I had about two weeks of truly dedicated time, but by the time my last rotation rolled around, I was in boards-mode already.

>270 FWIW

Reactions: 2 users
Nice to see this thread for STEP 2!

I followed the STEP 1 thread and it helped me stay sane during those dark times lol.

Its been nice focusing on clinicals during rotations and not having to sit in a classroom all day but its time to start thinking about STEP 2/Level 2 for me!

Im actually taking COMLEX LEVEL 2 PE (equivalent to STEP 2 CE for our MD friends) in a few weeks so spending the next few weeks just focusing on that! Any of you taken the exam?

Nice to see this thread for STEP 2!

I followed the STEP 1 thread and it helped me stay sane during those dark times lol.

Its been nice focusing on clinicals during rotations and not having to sit in a classroom all day but its time to start thinking about STEP 2/Level 2 for me!

Im actually taking COMLEX LEVEL 2 PE (equivalent to STEP 2 CE for our MD friends) in a few weeks so spending the next few weeks just focusing on that! Any of you taken the exam?

I have mine scheduled for January. Everyone I've talked with has said not to worry about it too much, but then I keep seeing people who have failed it...so a lot of mixed signals...I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to that sort of relationship... Lol

I have mine scheduled for January. Everyone I've talked with has said not to worry about it too much, but then I keep seeing people who have failed it...so a lot of mixed signals...I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to that sort of relationship... Lol

Totally understand. I go through these "I got this" to "Im gonna fail!!!!" moments all the time right now. I would rather be over prepared than underprepared. I've read too many posts on SDN of people failing for my own good.

Have you started preping for yours yet?

So far for shelves/comats I've taken psych, omm, ob/gyn, and peds. For psych definitely recommend FA for Psychiatry and know your drugs well. OMM = green book. And I personally do not like Case Files so for Ob/gyn I did Blueprint which I loved. Peds I just took and was burned out big time and just did FA for Step 2 which I also used for the other shelves. Next semester I have IM, surgery then family. I'm going to take Step 2 end of June because I'm going to be auditioning July-September hopefully.

Surgery shelf: can vouch for OnlineMedEd + Pestana + UWorld being enough, if you're like me and are not a future surgeon, have to force yourself to study for it kicking and screaming, and are satisfied with passing the thing! If you're looking to rock it, and I know quite a few of you are, you're going to need another resource. I've heard good things about the NMS Casebook, but couldn't get through it personally, see above re: kicking and screaming.

Finished 25% of uworld!

Sitting at 66% correct overall and 64% in medicine.

Got a lot of work to do still!

Anyone sign up for step 2 yet?

I am getting killed by Kaplan Peds questions... I heard BRS is good, but the book is so thick and I only have 3 weeks left before taking the shelf... Any suggestions guys/gals!

I am getting killed by Kaplan Peds questions... I heard BRS is good, but the book is so thick and I only have 3 weeks left before taking the shelf... Any suggestions guys/gals!

Did you buy the Kaplan Qbank? How do you like it? Worth the time and $$?

Did you buy the Kaplan Qbank? How do you like it? Worth the time and $$?
I purchased it for only $139 and I think it's not bad, but some of the questions are demoralizing... I used it along with Uworld and I have been getting 80+% on my shelfs so far. So I would say it worth the time and $$ for me.

Last edited:
Me too. UWorld giveth and UWorld taketh away-- I got a 70% on one block and was pleased with myself, then followed it up with a 30%. When do you take the shelf?
Yeah. When I score above 70, I consider it a good day. I'm constantly scoring 60-65%.

I don't take IM shelf until June

Yeah. When I score above 70, I consider it a good day. I'm constantly scoring 60-65%.

I don't take IM shelf until June

You don't take it until June and you're studying now?! Are you done with the rest of your shelves already? So far I've made it through psych, FM, and surgery, but starting beginning of March I take one every month from three months (IM, OB/GYN, peds).

You don't take it until June and you're studying now?! Are you done with the rest of your shelves already? So far I've made it through psych, FM, and surgery, but starting beginning of March I take one every month from three months (IM, OB/GYN, peds).
At my school, 3rd year is divided into 4 blocks each containing 3 rotations. For each block we take 2 shelves, the third rotation tends to be either an elective or vacation.

Right now, I'm on my easiest block (vacation, elective, and OMM). My next block is tough (2 IM and one psych). Therefore I'm using some of my leisure time now to get through UW IM because I want to try to do another IM pass during my IM rotations.

So far I had FM, Surgery, Peds and OB shelf exams. I'm only using UW (and casually combank) and it has been sufficient to score above average on shelves with minimum efforts (I never study for more than an hour a day).

On a separate but more serious note, I signed up for both Step2 and CE. Mid July. Will have 4 weeks of dedicated time to study.

Did you guys use uworld for FM shelf??

At my school, 3rd year is divided into 4 blocks each containing 3 rotations. For each block we take 2 shelves, the third rotation tends to be either an elective or vacation.

Right now, I'm on my easiest block (vacation, elective, and OMM). My next block is tough (2 IM and one psych). Therefore I'm using some of my leisure time now to get through UW IM because I want to try to do another IM pass during my IM rotations.

So far I had FM, Surgery, Peds and OB shelf exams. I'm only using UW (and casually combank) and it has been sufficient to score above average on shelves with minimum efforts (I never study for more than an hour a day).

On a separate but more serious note, I signed up for both Step2 and CE. Mid July. Will have 4 weeks of dedicated time to study.

^ insanely impressive. I use uworld+ extras and still only land average studying 4-6 hours a day haha.

^ insanely impressive. I use uworld+ extras and still only land average studying 4-6 hours a day haha.
In regards to FM shelf, I used Combank COMAT qs (for DOs) and ~150 of the AAFP boards prep free questions.

For your defense, I hear that NBOME boards are easier than NBME ones (I have done some of the CMS NBME exams and I can say they are a lot harder than NBOME shelves; although NBOME tends to ask very very weird qs about topics you never heard of). Therefore, if I were to prepare for NBME tests, I'd probably study a lot more.

In regards to FM shelf, I used Combank COMAT qs (for DOs) and ~150 of the AAFP boards prep free questions.

For your defense, I hear that NBOME boards are easier than NBME ones (I have done some of the CMS NBME exams and I can say they are a lot harder than NBOME shelves; although NBOME tends to ask very very weird qs about topics you never heard of). Therefore, if I were to prepare for NBME tests, I'd probably study a lot more.
Wow... I was under the impression DO and MD take the same shelf exams...

Wow... I was under the impression DO and MD take the same shelf exams...
Some schools (KCU comes to mind) administer NBME shelves, while most do NBOME (contains few OMM qs).

Big reason why I think NBOME tests are easier is because you are being compared against other DO students, while for NBME you are being compared against all USMD's (including those who are naturally talented test takers).

Just signed up for USMLE 2 and COMLEX 2!

For Step 1 I was able to find some pretty decent schedules to kinda model my study schedule from but no luck with step 2 yet. Have you guys found anything that could be useful?

Unfortunately I will only have 1 week of dedicated study time due to my 4th yr schedule so I need to kinda start carving out some time from now on to study.

@Ibn Alnafis MD that makes more sense! I couldn't figure out why you'd study 5 months in advance otherwise. Hope you're enjoying your relaxing block... although I don't know if I'd personally find a month of OMM to be relaxing.

Took the NBME family med shelf. Didn't touch UWorld. I went through Case Files for FM and the OnlineMedEd videos. For questions I did some AAFP (free online, but join a few days before you need them) and some PreTest.