Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^^^^ THIS WAS THE 10,000th POST!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THE EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :X3:

Just wanted to pop in to say that I've been watching the post counter the past few days hoping to snag this spot, but alas, I was at work this afternoon and unable to do so... But I do think it is HIGHLY appropriate that our fearless leader @sunflower18 snagged the 10,000th post!!!! ;)

P.S. - I love the fact that the 10,000th post mentions HP world :soexcited:

Whoa whoa whoa I'm the leader?! Whaaaat hahaha that isn't even close to the truth! But! I'M SO EXCITED I WAS THE 10,000TH POST that's so amazing!!! I had no idea we were right around that number -- you're much more observant than I ;) Sorry I stole it from you though :(

And yessssss beyond stoked that it included mention of HP world hehehe how perfect is that!

I volunteer as tribute!

Yes, hanging out with me can indeed feel like the Hunger Games.... ;) But YES PLEASE for real though yes

No but seriously. Harry Potter world??? All of us??? I will buy the first round of butterbeers!!!

I'm so, so, so, so down with this plan. So down. Who's in?

@Ace Khalifa -- I would go to all of your interviews until you have an acceptance, but like others were saying, you do have a lot of time to get an acceptance and cancel before December!
@Sirphillup -- I forgot to mention how cute your avatar was in my earlier congratulatory message omg. I love it so much. And I'm still so excited for you!!!!!! :) :) :) That's SO wonderful!! Great way to start the week, that's for sure!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Whoa whoa whoa I'm the leader?! Whaaaat hahaha that isn't even close to the truth! But! I'M SO EXCITED I WAS THE 10,000TH POST that's so amazing!!! I had no idea we were right around that number -- you're much more observant than I ;) Sorry I stole it from you though :(

And yessssss beyond stoked that it included mention of HP world hehehe how perfect is that!

Yes, hanging out with me can indeed feel like the Hunger Games.... ;) But YES PLEASE for real though yes

I'm so, so, so, so down with this plan. So down. Who's in?

@Ace Khalifa -- I would go to all of your interviews until you have an acceptance, but like others were saying, you do have a lot of time to get an acceptance and cancel before December!
@Sirphillup -- I forgot to mention how cute your avatar was in my earlier congratulatory message omg. I love it so much. And I'm still so excited for you!!!!!! :) :) :) That's SO wonderful!! Great way to start the week, that's for sure!!!

I am 100% down for HP world next spring/summer! Once we know our schedules for next year, I say we plan it and go for it! It would be a fantastic trip and I cannot think of a better place to meet everyone!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, everybody, for all the support. You all are a lovely bunch. It definitely feels like the class of 2019 is going to have the sweetest meds students of all time.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm saving 30% of this year's pitiful income for a SE Asia trip!! Hit up Singapore (infinity pool?! giants trees like a scene out of Avatar?!) and Thailand (elephant sanctuaries! temples!) and then to Taiwan for a month or so to visit the extended fam + S/O's extended fam. I'm drooling just thinking of the food :happy:

:eek: That sounds beautiful! You're going to do it with your sig-oth? I'm sold on Singapore. Thailand is a must and I really really want to go to the white sand beaches in Boracay.

I do know one of my friends (and their SO) are spending the last stretch of their trip in Taiwan w/ fam too, so I'll see if I can third-wheel it along. I've never been to SE Asia so I think this would be a brilliant time to squeeze some last-minute travels in.

Speaking of fantasy vacations, this is my absolute dream – a lake in Palau filled with non-dangerous sea jellies!

@sunflower18 I'll probably be up in Seattle sometime this summer visiting my bbf! Hopefully I can make a bit of a longer PNW trip about it and pop through Portlandia. (Ooooh, Voodoo Doughnut).

Reactions: 2 users
@sunflower18 I'll probably be up in Seattle sometime this summer visiting my bbf! Hopefully I can make a bit of a longer PNW trip about it and pop through Portlandia. (Ooooh, Voodoo Doughnut).

Ahhh let me know if you can come by!!! I'd love to see you if you're in town :)

Y'all are making me want to plan something extravagant this summer. I've been to Europe once and Canada once, but that's it for international travel. It'd be amazing to see more of the world!

Reactions: 1 users
You are the leader, @sunflower18!!
And this is your sword!
Tournesol-ffxii.png

The Sunflower - A single, beautiful sunflower. Brilliant as the sun, wondrous as creation.
—Bazaar Description

It's an honor and privilege to be able to join this group! Woohooo Class of 2019!!!:soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
You are the leader, @sunflower18!!
And this is your sword!
Tournesol-ffxii.png

The Sunflower - A single, beautiful sunflower. Brilliant as the sun, wondrous as creation.
—Bazaar Description

!!!! What a beautiful sword and quote! Goodness!! I feel so honoured!! Thank you :D :biglove:

It's an honor and privilege to be able to join this group! Woohooo Class of 2019!!!:soexcited:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Fantastic news!!! :)

Reactions: 4 users
:eek: That sounds beautiful! You're going to do it with your sig-oth? I'm sold on Singapore. Thailand is a must and I really really want to go to the white sand beaches in Boracay.

I do know one of my friends (and their SO) are spending the last stretch of their trip in Taiwan w/ fam too, so I'll see if I can third-wheel it along. I've never been to SE Asia so I think this would be a brilliant time to squeeze some last-minute travels in.

Speaking of fantasy vacations, this is my absolute dream – a lake in Palau filled with non-dangerous sea jellies!

Yeeeahh after the interview trail I realized that I'm not a good solo traveller. I just want to stay in bed with the internetz all day. If you have the chance to visit Taiwan, your mouth will be so happy at night markets :hungry: also hooray for cheap clothes!! Like half my wardrobe is made of $10 pieces ahahah

Yeeeahh after the interview trail I realized that I'm not a good solo traveller. I just want to stay in bed with the internetz all day. If you have the chance to visit Taiwan, your mouth will be so happy at night markets :hungry: also hooray for cheap clothes!! Like half my wardrobe is made of $10 pieces ahahah
ARE YOU TAIWANESE. CAN YOU MAKE 滷肉飯

Anyone feel a bit weird post-acceptance? Don't get me wrong I am ecstatic, but now it is sort of time to start a major journey and to seriously think about where will you end up. It can decide your entire course of life! It's getting real as hell.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone feel a bit weird post-acceptance? Don't get me wrong I am ecstatic, but now it is sort of time to start a major journey and to seriously think about where will you end up. It can decide your entire course of life! It's getting real as hell.
Yes, exactly my thoughts! I'm starting to get anxious about where I will end up and I am trying to enjoy time with my family before the potential move. **** is getting real for sure! Really hoping Penn State accepts me because then I will be much closer to home. But I'm def not counting on it since my interview went meh.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, exactly my thoughts! I'm starting to get anxious about where I will end up and I am trying to enjoy time with my family before the potential move. **** is getting real for sure! Really hoping Penn State accepts me because then I will be much closer to home. But I'm def not counting on it since my interview went meh.
Which medical specialties are you guys interested in?!

Edit: The question applies to everyone here.

Last edited:

At my PSU interview, one interviewer just didn't seem to be impressed by anything that I said.

So obviously after the interview I didn't feel that good, but I still got accepted!

Keep your hopes up! I hope that you hear some good news soon.

Peds or IM with a specialty in Hem Onc or Critical Care. Although @sunflower18 thinks ID.
Yup I have that. Also have a tremendous amount of apathy towards my classes.

Completely feel the same way. I'm very pleased with what I've done already, but also quite nervous/apprehensive of what's to come in the next 4-5 years (and beyond).

Sorry to interject with something serious, but I'm really not feeling this EVMS interview on 12/3. They're big on primary care but that's not what I want to do in the slightest. Do y'all think I should cancel now or wait a little longer for a maybe acceptance from ECU or UNC? Also, I'm tired of dead silence from the other 14 schools I applied to. Can someone show me how to write a proper update letter? Is there a basic template I can use? I would be telling them the total number of hours worked as an ED scribe and expanding upon the description of the job I gave them in my AMCAS by elaborating on how it's been so meaningful to me, relevant clinical experience, etc.

You should go. I was very pleasantly surprised by my interview day and I actually really really love the school now that I went.

Peds heme/onc has been my plan since day 1 and honestly it's the most likely -- it fits my interests the best I think. But I'm also interested in rad onc (perhaps with a peds focus?), neuro/peds neuro, and peds ID.

Peds heme/onc has been my plan since day 1 and honestly it's the most likely -- it fits my interests the best I think. But I'm also interested in rad onc (perhaps with a peds focus?), neuro/peds neuro, and peds ID.
Rad onc is really cool! The lifestyle is also very attractive :D

From everything I've seen in medicine, I love the practice of ortho specifically ortho oncology, but the social justice and disparities research of ID is fascinating to me.

I've always wanted to do something in surgery, or at the very least something with lots of procedures... maybe plastics (reconstructive burn surgery, hand surgery, and the like) or interventional cards. There are so many cool specialties out there that fit with my interests, though, so I'm still pretty open to seeing which type of surgery (or medicine) I might enjoy the most.

Now that the initial excitement of getting in has tempered (slightly), I'm just feeling relieved and a bit worried about the future. It's been difficult for me to envision where I will be next year, even though I know there's no way to make an objectively bad decision here. It's pretty scary, albeit exciting, to think that this time next year we'll be approaching the half-way mark of our first year of medical school.

However, I keep getting myself caught up in silly worries. For example, to perfectly exhibit the kind of neuroticism that I've been dealing with everyday from my silly brain... I'm taking one course right now and there's a chance that I might get a B/B+ in the class... I feel ridiculous for even asking this, but it's unlikely that that kind of grade would get an acceptance rescinded right? Granted, it will look like my entire semester is at a 3.0 gpa due to just having the one class, but overall my gpa would still be at the same 3.x number, perhaps dropped down a point. Some schools keep writing "maintain your high level of gpa" and other similar phrases, so I've been worrying what that could mean in this case.

Annnd now that I've aired my embarrassing question, I feel like beating myself over the head like Dobby the house-elf.

At this point in the game, I'm pretty open minded... I have a feeling I won't know exactly what I want to do until I actually complete my clerkships. However, I really like the combination surgical/clinical specialties like ENT, optho, and urology. The sdn specialty selector puts me for a 100% match in plastics and derm – I know both have kind of a bad rap attached to them – but I could really see myself enjoying both. @spockprime oh goodness yes... reconstructive plastics would be my pie-in-the-sky dream specialty. Wildcard pick is ID, though I definitely see myself as a visually-oriented, procedure-driven person.

If this specialty trend continues, I'm going to be in for some hardcore step studying -____-

I've always wanted to do something in surgery, or at the very least something with lots of procedures... maybe plastics (reconstructive burn surgery, hand surgery, and the like) or interventional cards. There are so many cool specialties out there that fit with my interests, though, so I'm still pretty open to seeing which type of surgery (or medicine) I might enjoy the most.

Now that the initial excitement of getting in has tempered (slightly), I'm just feeling relieved and a bit worried about the future. It's been difficult for me to envision where I will be next year, even though I know there's no way to make an objectively bad decision here. It's pretty scary, albeit exciting, to think that this time next year we'll be approaching the half-way mark of our first year of medical school.

However, I keep getting myself caught up in silly worries. For example, to perfectly exhibit the kind of neuroticism that I've been dealing with everyday from my silly brain... I'm taking one course right now and there's a chance that I might get a B/B+ in the class... I feel ridiculous for even asking this, but it's unlikely that that kind of grade would get an acceptance rescinded right? Granted, it will look like my entire semester is at a 3.0 gpa due to just having the one class, but overall my gpa would still be at the same 3.x number, perhaps dropped down a point. Some schools keep writing "maintain your high level of gpa" and other similar phrases, so I've been worrying what that could mean in this case.

Annnd now that I've aired my embarrassing question, I feel like beating myself over the head like Dobby the house-elf.

I think we can all agree a GPA-dip your final semester is OK. B/B+? Peachy keen. C? Whatever. F or D? Eh, not so much.

I just want to know what city I'm going to be in next fall! And I keep hoarding kitchen supplies I've been buying from garage sales, slowly plotting out my gorgeous future abode. Sad thing is, I do this all the time and when I finally get the apartment I'm like "Eh, who has time to decorate?"

At this point in the game, I'm pretty open minded... I have a feeling I won't know exactly what I want to do until I actually complete my clerkships. However, I really like the combination surgical/clinical specialties like ENT, optho, and urology. The sdn specialty selector puts me for a 100% match in plastics and derm – I know both have kind of a bad rap attached to them – but I could really see myself enjoying both. @spockprime oh goodness yes... reconstructive plastics would be my pie-in-the-sky dream specialty. Wildcard pick is ID, though I definitely see myself as a visually-oriented, procedure-driven person.

If this specialty trend continues, I'm going to be in for some hardcore step studying -____-

I think we can all agree a GPA-dip your final semester is OK. B/B+? Peachy keen. C? Whatever. F or D? Eh, not so much.

I just want to know what city I'm going to be in next fall! And I keep hoarding kitchen supplies I've been buying from garage sales, slowly plotting out my gorgeous future abode. Sad thing is, I do this all the time and when I finally get the apartment I'm like "Eh, who has time to decorate?"

All of the specialities you've mentioned sound amazing to me! But YES, reconstructive plastics would be an absolute dream, and I'm already resigned to a major overhaul in my studying so that I can do well on step 1. Even though it's likely we might change our minds over the course of med school, especially during the clinical years, the possibility of being limited right from the start is terrifying!

Thank you for your words of reason!! I think I need to calm down, manage my time better, study every now and then, and enjoy life a little more... just have to survive this final class.

After staying with a couple of student hosts and seeing their lovely homes, I've been eagerly thinking about what my future home will look like! Even if I stay in my city, I'm planning to get an apartment, so I'm also impulse buying kitchen supplies and anticipating a major IKEA expedition in the future.

:laugh: Yep, I love ortho and neurosurgery and they both require pretty high step scores, although probably not as stratospheric as plastics. You'll do just fine ;)
PM&R is also amazing! It's less competitive and more lifestyle friendly than most fields.

The stigmas attached to derm and plastics are ridiculous. My friend just attended a face transplant seminar at Sinai and she loved it! Now she's interested in plastics :D

Ahhhh some of you would have loved coming to Penn State for undergrad. We do some incredible things to fight pediatric cancer!

Ahhhhh you guys are making me super jealous with these spectacular plans! I definitely want to do SOMETHING travel related but I don't have anyone to go with.... I'm a lame duck hahaha
I'm actually looking for a volunteer opportunity in Asia sometime after April. Let me know of good suggestions!

That sounds like a really awesome experience!! But.... I don't know, I'd rather go on a trip with friends! I think that'd be super fun.

I desperately want go to to HP world omg.... And @spockprime oh my gosh yes! Come visit me!! The Pacific Northwest is awesome!!! Or I'll come to y'all. SDN adventure!
I've got a grandmother in Milwaukie (suburb of Portland) and like *Portlandia*. . . . never visited yet, though.

At this point in the game, I'm pretty open minded... I have a feeling I won't know exactly what I want to do until I actually complete my clerkships. However, I really like the combination surgical/clinical specialties like ENT, optho, and urology. The sdn specialty selector puts me for a 100% match in plastics and derm – I know both have kind of a bad rap attached to them – but I could really see myself enjoying both.
Did not know this exists...Taking it now.

Did not know this exists...Taking it now.
Heme / Gen Surg / Path / Thoracic Surg

Most of which I am quite interested in. This test is quite interesting.

Looks like I know myself pretty well!
Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 10.57.43 AM.png

EM or PCP. Not afraid of burn out bc I don't see myself practicing medicine forever ✌️

I think the test is trying to say you're an emotional and kind person.

OB and Psych were the lowest on mine, haha.
Haha I'm shocked since those are two I'm very much not interested in! I think it was more emphasizing my analytical nature and ability to control my emotions.

Funny how it actually mirrors what we want.

Oh I'm going to take the specialty selector now, that's so cool... Will report back!

I had a dream today that my school had a program with HMS where you were prioritized acceptance if you scored >80 on two different MCATs and you had >3.7.

Anyone taking off on a pre-med school holiday this spring/summer?

I'm slowly coming to accept the fact that I will be in debt up to my eyeballs once med school is over, so what is a little vacation to garnish off a mountain of debt? I'm formally ending my job at the end of April, and I have some friends going to SE Asia in May and another group backpacking through the Mediterranean in June. Decisions, decisions.... :idea:

I vote SE Asia because a friend of mine studied abroad in Thailand and absolutely LOVED it!!! Also, my Indian heritage does nothing to sverve me in this regard :p

Ahhhhh you guys are making me super jealous with these spectacular plans! I definitely want to do SOMETHING travel related but I don't have anyone to go with.... I'm a lame duck hahaha

Me too!! I hope to squeeze a trip to India (first one in 7 years :eek:) but I don't know because there is talk I might graduate in the summer instead of May :( :mad:

And @BengaliBrat!!! You've joined our awesome nest! Welcome and I'm so happy that you are basking in (and will soon contribute to) our collective sunshine ;) :biglove:

Also: @sunflower18 is indeed our leader! :D :love:

Last edited:
I had a dream today that my school had a program with HMS where you were prioritized acceptance if you scored >80 on two different MCATs and you had >3.7.
To be fair I could see something similar occurring given where you go... maybe not necessarily HMS but a medical school.

Also, join the bandwagon and take the test.

To be fair I could see something similar occurring given where you go... maybe not necessarily HMS but a medical school.

According to MDApps, he already banged out a 37. Kudos homie.

I've seen the test and it's dumb. I am not a formula of attributes that can be plugged into an algorithm. I literally don't know how to rate my preferences so specifically on a numbered scale well. It ends up being arbitrary and I guarantee I'd get different results depending on when I take it.

Lolololol he meant the residency one

But thanks!
Of course, my bad I thought he was talking about your dream lol. I guess Halloweekend really took quite the toll on me :p.

But you're welcome anyways, you're set man!

Arbitrarily numbered tests are the sugar in my coffee.

And back! Hopefully this is visible, I couldn't figure out how to paste it in properly... psychiatry was the surprising one on my list, as I'm definitely not interested in that field, but as @claduva94 mentioned, it might have something to do with the way we analyze problems and maintain control emotionally! Pretty interesting results, especially since aerospace medicine has been on my radar for several years now, and it's also something I'm considering! Seems like it pretty much aligns with what we want, even the unusual specialties.

Screen shot 2014-11-04 at 11.30.40 AM.png