class rank for matching into neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supervenience

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm in the lowest quarter of my class at a "top 10" school. if my board scores are around 220-230, do i have a decent shot at a california neurology program? i have several papers published in some high impact journals like journal of neuroscience and neuroimage, but none are first or second author. (the bulk of the papers were completed in undergrad, one was done during the summer after first year of medical school.) i realize that neurology is not as competitive as some other programs, but i was wondering how hard it is to match into a spot in southern california, especially considering my low class rank and average board score.

the reason i ask a question like this is because a friend of mine recently went to a neuro interest group meeting, and one of the residency directors there informed the group that 4 out of 5 who matched into the program last year were AOA. granted, this was at a relatively respected program, but that number caught both of us by surprise.

lastly, i should say that i'm not currently at a california medical school. will the lack of "regional" preference significantly affect my chances? thanks for any information you choose to provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Rotate at any place you seriously want to go.

Otherwise apply to all the programs. There is a whole spectrum of programs ranging from ultra-competitive ones to ones who did not fill.

UCLA, USC, UCSD, Kaiser, LOMA Linda, DAVIS, &c.

You sound like a good candidate who should get into one of the programs here. Neuro is not as competitive as other specialties like rads, derm, ophtho, &c.

Apply to all the programs. I only applied to a lot of california programs and will be doing neuro in SoCal next year. I had a excellent class ranking, horrible boards, solid research, and graduated from the local LA DO school.

If you are coming from a 'top ten' medical school you will get in somewhere- it could be UCLA or somewhere a little further from the beach- but you should get in.

Best of luck with it.